Hello from Arizona!

leutseym

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, Arizona
IMAG0346.jpg

Hello everybody!

My name is Linda. I run a storage facility in Mesa, Arizona (greater part of the Phoenix area). Someone found a baby (I believe to be) desert tortoise in the ally behind me. It is very small and adorable (of course)! I know the laws here in Arizona are quite strict when it comes to desert tortoise' . I'm not sure that is what it is? Someone said it looks like a desert box turtle. They look quite a bit alike, and I was hoping I could send a picture for anyone to be able to decipher. I don't want to to hurt this little cutie by thinking it may be a tortoise, if not one.
Thank you for allowing me to register!

Linda

This is the cutie sleeping next to me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Linda, and welcome to the Forum!!

Please don't use sand for substrate. It is very abrasive for the little guy, and if it sticks to the food and he eats it he might become impacted.

He could use a good soaking. Put some warm water into a shallow bowl that he can't climb out of, and just leave him in there for about 15 minutes. Have the water so it comes up to the middle of his sides, this way he doesn't have to strain to keep his head above the water.

Yes, that is a desert tortoise. I don't know the laws in Arizona, but here in California, we are allowed to keep them if we apply for a permit.

I just copied this off the Arizona Game and Fish web site:

Regulations pertaining to Sonoran desert tortoises in Arizona
Arizona law has prohibited removal of Sonoran desert tortoises from the wild since 1988. The Sonoran desert tortoise is listed as a Candidate species by the USFWS. Lawfully obtained desert tortoises may be privately adopted, but desert tortoise adoption in Arizona is subject to specific rules.

Per Arizona Game and Fish Commission Rule R12-4-407 A.1, "An individual may possess, transport, or give away a desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) without a special license if that individual possessed it before April 28, 1989. An individual who possessed a desert tortoise before this date may propagate it, and hold offspring in captivity for 24 months from the date of hatching. The individual shall dispose of the offspring of desert tortoises before or at the end of the 24 months by giving them as a gift or as directed in writing by the Department. An individual who receives a desert tortoise that is given away under this Section is also exempt from the special license requirements. An individual shall not export a desert tortoise from this state unless authorized in writing by the Department."

Per Arizona Game and Fish Commission Order 43, "Possession limit is one desert tortoise per person."

The Tortoise Adoption Program Guidelines state that as of January 2008, you may adopt one desert tortoise per household.

If you want to read more:

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/captive_tortoise_care.shtml#regulations

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hello Linda; Yes, that is a Desert Tortoise, not a desert box turtle. The question then becomes is it wild or a baby from captive Desert Tortoises in the neighborhood. Are their homes around your facility that it may have escaped from a yard? Or is it a wild hatchling from empty lots or desert area around your facility? Arizona laws prohibit taking wild desert tortoises. Here's a link that may help you: http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/tortoiseencounter.shtml

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
Thank you Yvonne for such a fast reply. Yes, I have read some of the laws concerning desert tortoise, and now I have an ID that it really is one, I will be in follow guidelines in honoring them!

Yvonne G said:
Hi Linda, and welcome to the Forum!!

Please don't use sand for substrate. It is very abrasive for the little guy, and if it sticks to the food and he eats it he might become impacted.

He could use a good soaking. Put some warm water into a shallow bowl that he can't climb out of, and just leave him in there for about 15 minutes. Have the water so it comes up to the middle of his sides, this way he doesn't have to strain to keep his head above the water.

Yes, that is a desert tortoise. I don't know the laws in Arizona, but here in California, we are allowed to keep them if we apply for a permit.

I just copied this off the Arizona Game and Fish web site:

Regulations pertaining to Sonoran desert tortoises in Arizona
Arizona law has prohibited removal of Sonoran desert tortoises from the wild since 1988. The Sonoran desert tortoise is listed as a Candidate species by the USFWS. Lawfully obtained desert tortoises may be privately adopted, but desert tortoise adoption in Arizona is subject to specific rules.

Per Arizona Game and Fish Commission Rule R12-4-407 A.1, "An individual may possess, transport, or give away a desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) without a special license if that individual possessed it before April 28, 1989. An individual who possessed a desert tortoise before this date may propagate it, and hold offspring in captivity for 24 months from the date of hatching. The individual shall dispose of the offspring of desert tortoises before or at the end of the 24 months by giving them as a gift or as directed in writing by the Department. An individual who receives a desert tortoise that is given away under this Section is also exempt from the special license requirements. An individual shall not export a desert tortoise from this state unless authorized in writing by the Department."

Per Arizona Game and Fish Commission Order 43, "Possession limit is one desert tortoise per person."

The Tortoise Adoption Program Guidelines state that as of January 2008, you may adopt one desert tortoise per household.

If you want to read more:

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/captive_tortoise_care.shtml#regulations

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
Thank you for your reply! There are a few homes who's back yards are adjacent to the other side of the ally. I will try to find out if anyone has lost a baby. There has to be a mama somewhere close.

TigsMom said:
Hello Linda; Yes, that is a Desert Tortoise, not a desert box turtle. The question then becomes is it wild or a baby from captive Desert Tortoises in the neighborhood. Are their homes around your facility that it may have escaped from a yard? Or is it a wild hatchling from empty lots or desert area around your facility? Arizona laws prohibit taking wild desert tortoises. Here's a link that may help you: http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/tortoiseencounter.shtml

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
TigsMom said:

Hello Tigs Mom! Thank you for your reply! Yes there are houses who's backyards are adjacent with the ally as well. I will try to find out if anyone is missing a baby!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Welcome to TFO [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
leutseym said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Linda and welcome to the TFO

Thank you!!

AZtortMom said:

Thank you! AztortMom! What part of Arizona are you in, if I may ask?

I live in Phoenix how about you?

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
AZtortMom said:
leutseym said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

Thank you!!

AZtortMom said:

I'm in Mesa off of Gilbert Rd./Broadway!

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Linda I live in Phx 32 st and bell rd

I'm in Mesa off of Gilbert Rd/Broadway

I think we have another storage facility by where you are!!!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
leutseym said:
AZtortMom said:
leutseym said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

Thank you!!

AZtortMom said:

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

I know where that is [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I use to live in that neck of the woods. Small world [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
You people in Mesa have a discount
Store to buy some of your veggies

Food city is pretty good for prices

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Food city is like AJs compared to this store they sell everything that Cisco ' s,
Shamrock's , and other wholesale warehouses in the area of AZ sells . When the wholesalers have broken bags and / or boxes . They buy them
For penny's on the dollar and then sell
Them retail .

Incase you would like the name it's
American discount

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Food city is like AJs compared to this store they sell everything that Cisco ' s,
Shamrock's , and other wholesale warehouses in the area of AZ sells . When the wholesalers have broken bags and / or boxes . They buy them
Them retail .

American discount

Oo! Me likie!

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
AZtortMom said:
leutseym said:
AZtortMom said:
leutseym said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

Thank you!!

AZtortMom said:

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

I know where that is [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I use to live in that neck of the woods. Small world [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

So...if your ever in "these parts" again, please stop by and see my little cutie. PM me and I will tell you exact address!!!

AZtortMom said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Them retail .

American discount

Oo! Me likie! 😀

Yes, he is right! It is awesome! Also there is a fruit/veggie market out in East Mesa (going toward Apache Junction) that is very reasonable also!

leutseym said:
AZtortMom said:
leutseym said:
AZtortMom said:
leutseym said:
Thank you!!

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

So...if your ever in "these parts" again, please stop by and see my little cutie. PM me and I will tell you exact address!!!

AZtortMom said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Them retail .

American discount

Oo! Me likie! 😀

Yes, he is right! It is awesome! Also there is a fruit/veggie market out in East Mesa (going toward Apache Junction) that is very reasonable also!

And...if you ever get out here to visit in Mesa, it would be a pleasure to meet you in person as well!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
leutseym said:
AZtortMom said:
leutseym said:
AZtortMom said:
leutseym said:
Thank you!!

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

AZtortMom said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Them retail .

American discount

Oo! Me likie!

leutseym said:
AZtortMom said:
leutseym said:
AZtortMom said:

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

AZtortMom said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Them retail .

American discount

Oo! Me likie!

And...if you ever get out here to visit in Mesa, it would be a pleasure to meet you in person as well!

Definetly [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]I would like that! I love to get to know my fellow tort lovers