Hello from Arizona!

DWB

5 Year Member
How lucky are both you and the DT. It feels like such a gift to have them find you for their care. I would keep the DT, legal or not, if I were you. If you can commit to proper care, which you can learn here, you probably would offer the best life for the DT. Life in the wild is tough, and survival rates are probably small. I would most certainly legally adopt it if possible, but you have to look out for what's best for the tort.

Read here quickly and learn what your hatchling needs. Folks on this forum are wonderful, and will enable you to provide luxurious care for young tortoises.

Without knowing anything about DT's, I wonder how old it is? Would a hatchling be born at this time of year in the wild? Aren't DT's getting ready to hibernate, it seems like it would be getting pretty cold at night around now. I am just totally guessing.

Best of luck to both you and the tort.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Why don't you two at the reptile show
In Mesa ?

When is the show?

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
AZtortMom said:
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
In Mesa ?

When is the show?

Yes, when is the show??

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
In Mesa ?

Yes, when is the show?? Are you going to be there??

DWB said:
How lucky are both you and the DT. It feels like such a gift to have them find you for their care. I would keep the DT, legal or not, if I were you. If you can commit to proper care, which you can learn here, you probably would offer the best life for the DT. Life in the wild is tough, and survival rates are probably small. I would most certainly legally adopt it if possible, but you have to look out for what's best for the tort.

Read here quickly and learn what your hatchling needs. Folks on this forum are wonderful, and will enable you to provide luxurious care for young tortoises.

Without knowing anything about DT's, I wonder how old it is? Would a hatchling be born at this time of year in the wild? Aren't DT's getting ready to hibernate, it seems like it would be getting pretty cold at night around now. I am just totally guessing.

Best of luck to both you and the tort.

Thank you DWB! I am hoping I can keep him...but here may be the problem...See, a previous tenant who just so happened to be walking down the ally that runs along side of the storage facility I manage found him and took him to a friends house she was staying at for the moment. She decided she liked living on the streets better than staying at these friends house, left with her 2 dogs, and said she would be back for the tortoise. The friends could not keep good care for him, so I asked them to bring the baby to me. They did. This is where I should be writing "the end" and the baby DT and I live happily ever after...now the "previous tenant who is living on the streets" wants to have somebody come and get him. I don't know what to do. I really can't say no if she wants him, she found him. BUT! I will NOT give him back to her unless I know he will be taken care of in the very best interest that is for him!!! I can be a foster mama for now, if that is what I have to do, but I am not going to let that baby get less than the best care possible, and I know I can give that to him!
Wow! I bet you didn't expect that for a reply...sorry to unload...

IMAG0351.jpgMaybe from this picture you can see how very small this baby really is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It looks like the baby tort could use a bath he's preaty dry
And the reptile show at the Mesa
Convention center I believe Nov 14-15
It's a sat and sun but you can call MCC
And there is a lecture at the same place
Thurs and fri before the reptile show
So am I going to see you ladies. There?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Linda and welcome to the forum. I"m a bit jealous that I don't live near you guys. I haven't found a single person that I could visit near y who has a tort.

Linda, if the baby your friend found is illegal to take, then tell your friend's friend who's coming to pick him up that you are gonna turn it over to the wildlife conservation agency, and that they cannot get him. Bottom line, this tort is not gonna be safe with a person who can't even take care of herself. If the tort gets back to her, he will most likely die. It takes a warm, loving home with resources to care for this baby. And you are the person for him! Do not give that baby to that homeless lady. It would be sure death for him.
And if you want to be on the up and up, then call the agency and inquire about the find. This way, when the friend comes to pick it up, you won't be lying about the laws about desert torts. But DO NOT GIVE IT TO THEM! Sorry for the rant, but I'm passionate about innocent animals who can't take care of themselves in the hands of the wrong people.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Wow! What a sweet, tiny one. This is the time of year when they hatch (my now juvenile DTs were born Oct 23 and Oct 26). Did you ever manage to find a neighbor with the parents? They may be happy to have you keep him if they have other hatchlings on their hands. I wish you luck on navigating the old tenant issue.

In the meantime, how are you housing him? Has he had a nice warm soak?

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
sibi said:
Hi Linda and welcome to the forum. I"m a bit jealous that I don't live near you guys. I haven't found a single person that I could visit near y who has a tort.

Linda, if the baby your friend found is illegal to take, then tell your friend's friend who's coming to pick him up that you are gonna turn it over to the wildlife conservation agency, and that they cannot get him. Bottom line, this tort is not gonna be safe with a person who can't even take care of herself. If the tort gets back to her, he will most likely die. It takes a warm, loving home with resources to care for this baby. And you are the person for him! Do not give that baby to that homeless lady. It would be sure death for him.
And if you want to be on the up and up, then call the agency and inquire about the find. This way, when the friend comes to pick it up, you won't be lying about the laws about desert torts. But DO NOT GIVE IT TO THEM! Sorry for the rant, but I'm passionate about innocent animals who can't take care of themselves in the hands of the wrong people.

Thank you Sibi, I so agree! That little tiny baby will not get but the best of care in my hands!

thatrebecca said:
Wow! What a sweet, tiny one. This is the time of year when they hatch (my now juvenile DTs were born Oct 23 and Oct 26). Did you ever manage to find a neighbor with the parents? They may be happy to have you keep him if they have other hatchlings on their hands. I wish you luck on navigating the old tenant issue.

In the meantime, how are you housing him? Has he had a nice warm soak?

Oh yes, he gets a warm soak every day! He fell asleep during his soak yesterday. OMG, how can you not just fall in love with such a sweet little tortoise as this one?

mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome...

Oh Wow! Another Arizonian!!! I love this! Thank you for your welcome!

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
It looks like the baby tort could use a bath he's preaty dry
And the reptile show at the Mesa
Convention center I believe Nov 14-15
It's a sat and sun but you can call MCC
And there is a lecture at the same place
Thurs and fri before the reptile show
So am I going to see you ladies. There?

Yes, I do soak him everyday! I am off on Sunday's, so please, please, lets all try to coordinate a time (if possible) for that Sunday!!!

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
sibi said:

+1 X 100 :D

Do not give this little guy up. The person has to have a site inspection to determine the DT will be properly cared for in order to keep it. If on the street, she cannot take proper care of the DT. If you have the space for it and want to keep the little guy, then start up the procedure to legally adopt the tortoise. I don't live too far from you, McQueen and Warner, let me know if you need any help with set up or care for this little guy. I set up an indoor habitat for my CDT, full grown, last winter because he could not burminate. So, I have a larger wooden box/tort table that could be used because yours is so small he cannot burminate this year.

Sorry for the ramble, but I just want to help this little guy find a forever home and not live on the street. Just PM me if you need anything.

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
Arnold_rules said:
sibi said:

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!! Yet another person from Arizona...sorry Sibi!!! I would love for you to come and help me set up, I could use some hands on guideance! I will PM you with my address?

Do not give this little guy up. The person has to have a site inspection to determine the DT will be properly cared for in order to keep it. If on the street, she cannot take proper care of the DT. If you have the space for it and want to keep the little guy, then start up the procedure to legally adopt the tortoise. I don't live too far from you, McQueen and Warner, let me know if you need any help with set up or care for this little guy. I set up an indoor habitat for my CDT, full grown, last winter because he could not burminate. So, I have a larger wooden box/tort table that could be used because yours is so small he cannot burminate this year.

Sorry for the ramble, but I just want to help this little guy find a forever home and not live on the street. Just PM me if you need anything.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm getting a lot of "sorry sibi" this morning...hmmm, maybe I should keep quite today...::p

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
leutseym said:
Arnold_rules said:
Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!! Yet another person from Arizona...sorry Sibi!!! I would love for you to come and help me set up, I could use some hands on guideance! I will PM you with my address?

Linda, there are quite a few tortoise keepers here in AZ, ranging in all types of different tortoise species. My favorite though is the desert species, I am an Arizona native so I am prejudice. I am available this week Wednesday and Thursday after about 5:00 and I think Sunday. Just let me know what works for you.

sibi said:
I'm getting a lot of "sorry sibi" this morning...hmmm, maybe I should keep quite today...::p

Don't feel bad, you have humidity required to get that smooth shell look, plus it doesn't get that cold in most of FL. :D

DWB

5 Year Member
leutseym said:
Thank you DWB! I am hoping I can keep him...but here may be the problem...See, a previous tenant who just so happened to be walking down the ally that runs along side of the storage facility I manage found him and took him to a friends house she was staying at for the moment. She decided she liked living on the streets better than staying at these friends house, left with her 2 dogs, and said she would be back for the tortoise. The friends could not keep good care for him, so I asked them to bring the baby to me. They did. This is where I should be writing "the end" and the baby DT and I live happily ever after...now the "previous tenant who is living on the streets" wants to have somebody come and get him. I don't know what to do. I really can't say no if she wants him, she found him. BUT! I will NOT give him back to her unless I know he will be taken care of in the very best interest that is for him!!! I can be a foster mama for now, if that is what I have to do, but I am not going to let that baby get less than the best care possible, and I know I can give that to him!

Maybe from this picture you can see how very small this baby really is.

Linda, "YOU ARE THE MOMMA!!" (Jerry Springer)

Sibi laid it down proper!! Damn! Just don't put yourself in jeopardy with someone who may act irrationally.

Perhaps a small cash transaction can make the problem go away. However untasteful or illegal that would be, it might be the easiest for you and the best for the tort.

sibi said:

Sylvia, with all your torts you must have researched this, but I am surprised there is not a "Society" of some type with torts that is somewhat in your region. I was very lucky to find an active CTTC chapter not too far from our house.

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
DWB said:
leutseym said:

Maybe from this picture you can see how very small this baby really is.

Linda, "YOU ARE THE MOMMA!!" (Jerry Springer)

Sibi laid it down proper!! Damn! Just don't put yourself in jeopardy with someone who may act irrationally.

Perhaps a small cash transaction can make the problem go away. However untasteful or illegal that would be, it might be the easiest for you and the best for the tort.

I think that is the only reason why she wants him so bad, I think she plans on selling him, and we know that is illegal in the state of Az. I am getting too attached to let him go at this point...hmmm...once I name him...I will be the mama!!!

Arnold_rules said:
leutseym said:
Arnold_rules said:

Linda, there are quite a few tortoise keepers here in AZ, ranging in all types of different tortoise species. My favorite though is the desert species, I am an Arizona native so I am prejudice. I am available this week Wednesday and Thursday after about 5:00 and I think Sunday. Just let me know what works for you.

sibi said:

Don't feel bad, you have humidity required to get that smooth shell look, plus it doesn't get that cold in most of FL. :D

Probably Thursday after 5:00 would be the best, thank you! I will let you know the address/phone # to my location!

IMAG0364.jpgIMAG0362.jpgIMAG0361.jpgIMAG0358.jpgIMAG0354.jpgCan you all tell I'm like a new mama? I can't stop taking pictures of him, he is so adorable! This is the new enclosure I made him today. As you can see he was a busy body in it all morning long.
The close up of his face, how can anyone not love that face? He is still sound asleep in my hand as I am writing this!

Last edited by a moderator:

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
leutseym said:
Probably Thursday after 5:00 would be the best, thank you! I will let you know the address/phone # to my location!

Can you all tell I'm like a new mama? I can't stop taking pictures of him, he is so adorable! This is the new enclosure I made him today. As you can see he was a busy body in it all morning long.
The close up of his face, how can anyone not love that face? He is still sound asleep in my hand as I am writing this!

Set up is looking good. Do you have a light source for the little guy that can provide the UV light and heat he/she needs? Also, might need a way to keep the enclosure warm during the night or when the regular light is off.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just a gentle reminder folks to not be talking about or advising anybody to do anything that could be against the law.

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
Arnold_rules said:
leutseym said:

Can you all tell I'm like a new mama? I can't stop taking pictures of him, he is so adorable! This is the new enclosure I made him today. As you can see he was a busy body in it all morning long.

Set up is looking good. Do you have a light source for the little guy that can provide the UV light and heat he/she needs? Also, might need a way to keep the enclosure warm during the night or when the regular light is off.

That is where I really need help with...the lighting situation. If you come by Thursday, maybe you can see my set up and give me a few pointers!

Jacqui said:
Just a gentle reminder folks to not be talking about or advising anybody to do anything that could be against the law.

No one here will break any laws you can count on that!