Hello From Arkansas

Mexico

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Howdy everyone! My name is Mexico and I'm new here to the forum. I don't currently own any tortoises, but I hope to get a couple new friends this year. I just found this forum and I hope to use it for research and to hopefully speak with other Arkansan tortoise keepers to hear about their successes. Any tortoise I find will be my first, I currently keep a couple planted aquariums with freshwater shrimp and betta fish.

Right now I know I'm interested in smaller varieties, the Mediterraneans, so a female Hermann's or Russian. We have alot of temperature fluctuations here, so I'll probably end up with an indoor enclosure, most likely heavily planted because I love plants, but I do have a yard with lots of grass that I hope will make a great home for any little tortoise.

I am also trying to decide whether I want to buy from a breeder or scour forums and craigslist for a pet that someone can't take care of anymore. I really like the idea of taking in an old girl and being a part of their long lives, but who knows what will happen. I'm still pretty ensconced in the research and development phase right now.

So thanks in advance for all the great help all of you wonderful people will probably provide!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Mexico!

Just so you know, the Mediterranean's aren't much on grass-eating. They normally browse on broad-leaf plants and weeds. From my own experience, the Russians will eat the new grass shoots, but once it gets a little size/age to it, it doesn't appeal to them anymore.

The little Russians come up a lot in Rescues and on Craigslist, but the others are a little more scarce. We have some good breeders here on the Forum, in fact I saw two ads this a.m. selling baby Hermanni. The ad was put up by GBTortoises, one of our more experienced members.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Start letting some weeds take over the grass. It doesn't have to be all of it but it will make the enclosure much better for your tortoise.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there Mexico, welcome from Texas. I keep the Redfooted. Good for you for joining the Forum before getting your pet! You are off to a great start