Hello from Austria

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Hi everyone,
I got two baby hermanns three months ago and since then I'm trying to learn everything about how to keep them happy and healthy.
Interestingly the advice given here is quite different of what I read in german forums and since it can't harm to think outside the box, I registered. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome ! ! !

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Lisa welcome to the TFO from AZ . So when do we get to see Picts of your baby Hermanns in their enclosures we love to see Picts ? Have a great tort day !

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Thanks for the warm welcome! :)
They live outside in a cold frame and are brumating now. I hope they are doing well, can't wait to see them again in spring. :<3:
cuties.JPG

I was astounded to see so many here not brumating their hermanns, in my country it's against the law to keep them awake during winter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!! Wow, you have some strict laws regarding tortoises. Very cute picture. We have a great hermanni care sheet pinned at the top of our Hermanni section, but I've always been under the impression that Germany and countries around there are far more advanced in tortoise-keeping than we are here in the States.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Sooooooooooooo cute :<3::tort::<3:

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Wow, you have some strict laws regarding tortoises.
Not just tortoises, I think we have the strictest regulations for animal husbandry worldwide :cool: (for pets, not so much for livestock).
Well, violations are are not really controlled or penalized, but I think it's a good start to at least have those laws. :D

I've always been under the impression that Germany and countries around there are far more advanced in tortoise-keeping than we are here in the States.
I guess it's easier to keep mediterranean tortoises here, since our climate and vegetation isn't THAT different from their natural habitat (even though they wouldn't survive long without a cold frame or green house). But there are very few informations about how to keep them indoors or how to keep exotic tortoises, they are not so common here.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome from The central valley of California!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I didn't realize it was required by law to brumate your tortoises in Europe. That is interesting.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi everyone,
I got two baby hermanns three months ago and since then I'm trying to learn everything about how to keep them happy and healthy.
Interestingly the advice given here is quite different of what I read in german forums and since it can't harm to think outside the box, I registered. :)

Welcome and read as much as you can from as many sources as you can...there is never one right way to host a tortoise.....good to have you.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I didn't realize it was required by law to brumate your tortoises in Europe. That is interesting.
This only applies to Austria and Switzerland.
Most other European countries have no animal husbandry laws at all or only basic laws without specific definitions of minimum enclosure size, food,...

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
This only applies to Austria and Switzerland.
Most other European countries have no animal husbandry laws at all or only basic laws without specific definitions of minimum enclosure size, food,...

Hi und willkommen. Komme aus der Nähe von Köln nette Tierchen. Ist ein super Forum hier besser als die meist deutschen/Schweizer oder österreichischen ..

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Hi und willkommen. Komme aus der Nähe von Köln nette Tierchen. Ist ein super Forum hier besser als die meist deutschen/Schweizer oder österreichischen ..
Hallo Juli!
Ich finde nicht unbedingt, dass dieses Forum besser ist als die deutschen, aber es ist viel größer und man findet viiiiel mehr Halter von exotischen Arten (du scheinst hier ganz gut dazuzupassen :D). Dafür haben artgerechte/naturnahe Haltung und generell Tierschutz bei den meisten hier keine so große Bedeutung. Finde ich schade, aber das ist wohl einfach eine andere Mentalität.

Auf jeden Fall kann ich was lernen und die Winterstarrezeit totschlagen. It's also good practice for my English. :p

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Hallo Juli!
Ich finde nicht unbedingt, dass dieses Forum besser ist als die deutschen, aber es ist viel größer und man findet viiiiel mehr Halter von exotischen Arten (du scheinst hier ganz gut dazuzupassen :D). Dafür haben artgerechte/naturnahe Haltung und generell Tierschutz bei den meisten hier keine so große Bedeutung. Finde ich schade, aber das ist wohl einfach eine andere Mentalität.

Auf jeden Fall kann ich was lernen und die Winterstarrezeit totschlagen. It's also good practice for my English. :p

Ja das ist wohl richtig... Die deutschen Foren sind aber wie ich finde unglaublich verklemmt und man kann seine Meinung nicht äußern ohne direkt 1000 gegenkommentare zu bekommen.. Aber naja. Ja das stimmt wohl ist halt ein weltweites Forum. Naturnahe Haltung spielt bei vielen Haltern keine große Rolle da hast du Recht dafür siehst du das sie Tiere nachziehen die extrem selten sind. Artenschutz wird hier auch betrieben z.B the turtle room oder hat zum Beispiel ein Mitglied hier letzens Tiere aus Afrika bekommen deren Nachzuchten wieder ausgewildert werden. Also das Forum spaltet sich ist aber völlig normal bei der Anzahl von Mitgliedern. So am besten weiter Englisch schreiben damit jeder mitlesen kann.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Hallo Nachbar! Die Schweiz ist hier auch vertreten. :)

I have a male hermann's tortoise which is also brumating.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO. The advice here differed because we offer what works best for us and our climates. The prof is always in the pudding so if your unsure about the advice ask for pictures of their torts and how long they had them. Welcome aboard :)