Hello from AZ

Lord Bowser

Location (City and/or State)
mesa, az
We are new here! We have had Bowser for a little over a year now and I'm still learning how to properly care for the big guy. He was found wandering the streets after he escaped his yard when his owner died. We were able to track down the owners sister who said we could keep him. She said he had him for the past 55 years and the tortoise was already 10 years old. So he's about 65 almost 66 now. Bowser has some issues with his shell which we were told was caused from lack of proper nourishment when he was no longer being properly cared for because of his owners declining health. So I'd love any advice on that. I should probably start a new thread for that or something, still learning to navigate through this site. bowser.jpg 27459522_10210982815422133_3637854090312644726_n.jpg 26166729_10210800967396046_8127476867874167344_n.jpg bowsershell.jpg bowser.jpg bowsershell.jpg

Lord Bowser

mesa, az
Welcome..... i hope you are giving plenty of daily soaks.! Good looking sully for an old guy.
Yes! We stick him in a little kiddy pool occasionally but he's super heavy we were looking into other ideas. Thinking about making a pond or something but he HATES water and refuses to go near it on his own. If I hose him off, he will run off to his hole. I have to put his food in a water bowl to trick him to drink.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We are new here! We have had Bowser for a little over a year now and I'm still learning how to properly care for the big guy. He was found wandering the streets after he escaped his yard when his owner died. We were able to track down the owners sister who said we could keep him. She said he had him for the past 55 years and the tortoise was already 10 years old. So he's about 65 almost 66 now. Bowser has some issues with his shell which we were told was caused from lack of proper nourishment when he was no longer being properly cared for because of his owners declining health. So I'd love any advice on that. I should probably start a new thread for that or something, still learning to navigate through this site. View attachment 241112 View attachment 241113 View attachment 241114 View attachment 241116 View attachment 241112 View attachment 241116

In pic #2, that tort sure looks like he is planning for a meal of Hot Dogs.....mouth slightly open and heading in for a bite....lol....lovely tort, lovely dogs and a saucer shallow enough for the tort to drop head/nostrils into will also work....plus a sprinkler a couple of times during the week during hot months.... :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

While the first sulcatas came into the U.S. in the '60s, I doubt your tortoise is that old. I'm pretty sure the daughter was mistaken about his age. He looks to be maybe fourteen or fifteen years old. Also, that gular (the part under his chin) is pretty small for a male sulcata of that age. Are you sure he's male?

All that damage to the shell happened quite a long time ago, more than likely when he was a baby, which further proves he's not a wild caught, imported in the '60s sulcata. Captive bred sulcatas didn't start showing up in the pet trade in the 60s. There's nothing to be done about it now. Living outside with plenty of shade, water and food is the best thing you can do for him.

Lord Bowser

mesa, az
Hi, and welcome!

While the first sulcatas came into the U.S. in the '60s, I doubt your tortoise is that old. I'm pretty sure the daughter was mistaken about his age. He looks to be maybe fourteen or fifteen years old. Also, that gular (the part under his chin) is pretty small for a male sulcata of that age. Are you sure he's male?

All that damage to the shell happened quite a long time ago, more than likely when he was a baby, which further proves he's not a wild caught, imported in the '60s sulcata. Captive bred sulcatas didn't start showing up in the pet trade in the 60s. There's nothing to be done about it now. Living outside with plenty of shade, water and food is the best thing you can do for him.

Hmm that’s strange. Not sure why she would lie to us. When we talked to her last year about all this she said the the tortoise has been around all her life and she is 55 years old. She didn’t mention how he got it or where and we didn’t think to ask. And she said the shell started to deform in recent years. In the year we’ve had him, his shell has made improvements. But as it starts to round out and fill in, the sides crack a little. I hope this isn’t painful? We didn’t know anything about them at the time or even if he was a sulcata. Also, his penis has had made a few appearances. Or what we think is his his penis... This huge white slimy thing.

We keep him outside, and he has a huge yard to graze on. He doesn’t really dig anymore so we had to dig him a 3 foot hole and he loves in it there. And put up plenty of shade since it’s already 110 degrees here.