Hello from AZ

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, what a adorable sully. If you want, you could show us pics of your enclosure. We can probably help guide you to get it just right. Read the caresheets for caring for sulcata's. Pyramiding is a big problem to control if conditions are not right in the enclosure. I noticed your tort has the beginnings of pyramiding. That is where the sections of each part ( scutes)of the carapace. ( top shell) are beginning to raise up. It can be stopped with the correct humidity and lights. Google pyramiding tortoises and you will see how out of control it can become. Overly pyramiding can cause the backbone of the tort to be distorted and is not good. You have plenty of time to slow it down.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Hey! Awesome little tortoise. I agree with the pyramiding statement; it has the beginning of pyramiding, but isn't super bad and you have plenty of time to fix it.

I think the problem is that your enclosure is not a closed chamber; not being a closed chamber allows valuable, beneficial humidity to escape so even if the substrate is damp enough, the air is not. Hopefully someone can elaborate more :)

ISU

South Korea
Welcome to the forum! Please read these caresheets

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

That's a pretty cute little tortoise. I'm thinking if you add a LOT more moisture to his environment he'll start to grow faster. He seems a bit small for two years.