Hello from California

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopstop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Greetings from San Jose, California! I'm thinking of getting a tortoise (maybe a Russian, Greek or Hermann's) and I thought I'd come here and do some research before taking the plunge. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hello!! :) I like seeing folks who research first! :) Sounds like your thinking small for size and all three are nice tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

All three of those are nice species to work with.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Hello and welcome from your inland neighbor. Any of those are excellent choices for a first time tortoise. They do very well in our climate. When you are ready to pull the trigger let me know. I have two of those species available for adoption or sale right now.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Hi and welcome! Yes those are very good torts to start out with. And researching first is a great idea! Best of luck to you! :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO . May I ask why did you rule out a CDT .
Sorry none of my bus .

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Welcome to the forum! :)
Glad to hear you are researching first. I am sure you will find out that all three make great starter tortoises.

Can't wait to see which one you pick! ;)

gopstop

5 Year Member
Northern California
Thanks everyone! :)

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello and welcome to the TFO . May I ask why did you rule out a CDT .
I don't know much about California desert tortoises, but I'm afraid they might grow to be too large for the space that I can provide for them. Would you consider them to be a good, hardy starter tort?

Jacqui said:
Sounds like your thinking small for size and all three are nice tortoises.
Yes, I was thinking of getting a smaller tortoise, since I have limited space available (I live in an apartment). I believe Russian torts like to roam a lot so I'm hoping a tortoise table (maybe 2 levels tall with ramps?) plus my back patio would be sufficient to keep them happy.

kanalomele said:
Hello and welcome from your inland neighbor. Any of those are excellent choices for a first time tortoise. They do very well in our climate. When you are ready to pull the trigger let me know. I have two of those species available for adoption or sale right now.
Thanks for the offer. It may be some time before I'm ready, though; it seems the more I read the more there is to learn about these wonderful animals. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.