Hello from Central Florida

lrpallak

Location (City and/or State)
Mount Dora
Hello everyone. I’m new to the group and am eventually looking to adopt a red footed tortoise. Have a lovely backyard and am in the process of creating a safe tortoise habitat. Interested in learning and fellowship. I love all reptiles and have kept and studied snakes much of my life (not a breeder). New to tortoise husbandry. All advice appreciated. Thanks!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, from Central California!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone. I’m new to the group and am eventually looking to adopt a red footed tortoise. Have a lovely backyard and am in the process of creating a safe tortoise habitat. Interested in learning and fellowship. I love all reptiles and have kept and studied snakes much of my life (not a breeder). New to tortoise husbandry. All advice appreciated. Thanks!
Hello and welcome. You will realize in time how lucky you are that you found us and went about things this way. Rather than re-type it all again, here is a thread I answered this morning from another new member who found us just little too late. This thread will give you some insight, and questions are always welcome.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello from a fellow RF keeper in south east Florida

Get everything ready before you purchase your Redfoot and you'll be way ahead of the game.
You'll want a "closed chamber" enclosure. Something that can be mostly sealed so that it can hold him humidity and warmth.
You want to get a T5 HO UVB 5.0 strip florescent light. (Or you can supplement this with a few hours of outdoors sunshine each week)
Avoid any very bright lighting.
You'll need a CHE with a thermostat to keep the temperature between 80 and 86 day and night. A CHE is a ceramic heat emitter. It provides heat without light and I'd very reliable and inexpensive.
The humidity needs to be over 70%.
This can be maintained by using several inches of Orchid bark as substrate and by pouring a little water into the corners. As the water evaporates it will provide humidity.
Keep a small water dish available for drinking and soaking. This will need to be cleaned and changed at least once a day.
Provide hiding areas. This can be a sideways flowerpot. Etc.
As far as buying the RF itself, I recommend buying from our own members. One is:
@Southernreptiles
He's fantastic and he's in Palm Beach County Florida

Reactions: Ink