Hello from central Illinois

schnelbert

Location (City and/or State)
Urbana, IL
Hello! Not a tortoise owner (yet). Here to learn and likely will just be lurking for quite a while. :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome have you thought of what species?
Try to match to your situation. Like can you handle a sulcata because they get large and need lots of space. Or a smaller species like a Russian which still need a4' × 8' minimum.
All the info here is up to date and proven methods. There are a lot of knowledgeable members here. Good luck

schnelbert

Urbana, IL
From reading so far, I think a Russian sounds like a good option. Reviewing enclosure info and example photos for ideas for indoor and outdoor accommodations.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have a sulcata but there are a lot of Russian owners here. I am sure they can give you advice on a good breeder.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello! Not a tortoise owner (yet). Here to learn and likely will just be lurking for quite a while. :)
Tee Hee! Tell that poodle that's dressed up like a silky chicken that Halloween was a few weeks ago!!!

Welcome to the Forum. Don't be a lurker. Feel free to ask all the questions you need to.

Last edited:

schnelbert

Urbana, IL
Tee Hee! Tell that poodle that's dressed up like a silky chicken that Halloween was a few weeks age!!!

Haha! That's Linus. His hair's quite a bit shorter now. :D

I will definitely ask questions eventually but for now am reading to see what questions have already been answered here elsewhere. I have read the Beginner Mistakes and Russian care sheets a couple of times so far, and I am working backwards through the Russian thread and enclosure thread areas now.

Thanks in advance!