Hello from Central Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmcnair

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas
Hello!

I am here to learn more about tortoises for my 10 yr old son. He's very adamant about getting a turtle.

We do not have any experience with reptiles. We have dog, cat, parrot, and horse experience only.

I look forward to getting to know folks here and learning.

Dawn[/color][/font]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Dawn and welcome! Nice to see a parent researching before allowing a child to get a new animal. Is he wanting a tortoise or a turtle? Any certain type your thinking of at this point?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
A good starter would be either a Russian or Greek or Hermann's Tortoise or a variation of a Box Turtle.

You can find pretty much any information here you could ever need.

Got tons of Texans, too. I've been all over from San Antonio to El Paso, love the place.

dmmcnair

5 Year Member
Central Texas
Haha! I'm actually from El Paso, but I had to get out of the desert and find some green!

Well, it was more my "suggestion" that he get a tortoise. He just wanted a turtle and left it open-ended. So while I do research he gets to read what I find. I didn't want to have to deal with the water, filtration, etc...since i know I will do most of the work. LOL My hubby is not so keen on a new pet, but he's happy as long as it's not a lizard, snake, rodent, bird, dog or cat. LOL

We are leaning toward the Russian, but I'm having a hard time finding them anywhere, aside from Petco or Petsmart. And I really prefer not to get one from either of those places. We do have two exotic pet stores in Austin that I would like to visit. Does anyone know who to purchase one from in Texas?

My hubby has agreed to build a tortoise table. I've been reading all the posts. Lots of information...a little overwhelming.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dawn:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.