Hello from chilly Minnesota!

skolsister

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hi all! My name is Aime, and I'm writing from Minnesota, land where winter seemingly never ends. I'm a newbie to any reptiles period, never owned anything but fish, cats, and a dog. I'm newly registered here, but a long-time lurker since my teenage son first expressed a desire for a Russian Tortoise. I found your forum and have been grateful for a lot of the info I find here. I believe strongly that jumping into a pet is irresponsible, so it's been many months of research and planning. My son has been saving money up to buy the tortoise himself, and dad and I have been preparing the enclosure and all its needs.

I've currently got a rough draft shopping list of things to buy before we bring home our new friend, that seems to have changed a million times the more I read about Tortoise care. There's so much information out there, and sometimes it has conflicted with each other! I'm definitely nervous about the prospect of a pet we've had no experience with!! My son and I have read countless hours worth of material, and feel that we're pretty prepared, but its like bringing home a new baby for the first time and wishing you had an owner's manual! 🤣

Next step is actually finding said Tortoise!!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm an absolute worry wart, so don't be shocked to see me in a panic in here sometime in the future! 😅 See you around!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Aime, and welcome to the Forum!

It's really too bad that there isn't a mandatory date required for posting on the 'net. I think that's where your conflicting info comes from. Seems like the old, outdated info never gets removed from the 'net. We're always learning and improving the way we care for our turtles and tortoises. Here on the Forum we try to keep up with the new ways and try to post the best way to care for your turtles and tortoises. Hopefully you aren't too confused. Have you had a chance to read our care sheet?

skolsister

Minnesota
Hi Aime, and welcome to the Forum!

It's really too bad that there isn't a mandatory date required for posting on the 'net. I think that's where your conflicting info comes from. Seems like the old, outdated info never gets removed from the 'net. We're always learning and improving the way we care for our turtles and tortoises. Here on the Forum we try to keep up with the new ways and try to post the best way to care for your turtles and tortoises. Hopefully you aren't too confused. Have you had a chance to read our care sheet?

I did!! I've found a TON of current info here that has been immensely helpful. Honestly would have felt more lost without this Forum! Decided I should join so I have somewhere to ask questions when the time arrives. Thank you!

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Welcome!

It is like a new baby! You'll probably do a lot of search for "is this normal!?" (it probably is)

Tortoises are generally very hardy and forgiving animals. There's always going to be the first time your lamp goes out, or the humidity isn't right, but you'll see it's not really a big deal as long as you follow the care sheets. You'll do great :)

Definitely get your tort from someone on the forum, or from a breeder or rescue with plenty of reviews in the vendor section. Resist the sad pet store tortoises! RESIST! 😆

tgoodman89

Ramsey, MN
Hello,

Did you find a tortoise? I’m looking to rehome my male Russian Tortoise who is roughly 20-25 years old. I’ve had him for almost 10 years. I recently had a baby and with my current life, I don’t have the time I used to have to interact with him. I really want him to go to someone who will take joy in having him. He’s a delight! Let me know if you’re interested.