Hello from Cyprus!

michael.thrasou

Location (City and/or State)
Nicosia
Dear forum members,

hello from the Mediterranean island of Cyprus! My family has recently got bigger with the introduction of 2 small (6 month old) tortoises. The problem is that we have no idea what is best for them but we are willing to learn and provide anything they need. Firstly, we need to know what kind of tortoise they are so that we can make a targeted study. Could anyone help us determine the species? Attached are photos of Paddy and Sulley (obviously we don't know their sex, could we find that out as well?).

thanks and happy to be part of this forum!
Mike

IMG_20201107_105152_1.jpgIMG_20201107_122229.jpgIMG_20201107_122240.jpgIMG_20201107_122250.jpgIMG_20201107_122305.jpgIMG_20201107_122343_1.jpgIMG_20201107_122548.jpgIMG_20201107_122552.jpg

nicoleann2214

NY
Dear forum members,

hello from the Mediterranean island of Cyprus! My family has recently got bigger with the introduction of 2 small (6 month old) tortoises. The problem is that we have no idea what is best for them but we are willing to learn and provide anything they need. Firstly, we need to know what kind of tortoise they are so that we can make a targeted study. Could anyone help us determine the species? Attached are photos of Paddy and Sulley (obviously we don't know their sex, could we find that out as well?).

Mike
@Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dear forum members,

Mike
Hello and welcome. Those are little Testudo tortoises. Either Testudo graeca or Testudo hermanni.

The first thing is to separate them. Tortoises should never live in pairs. That is bad for both of them. Groups of juveniles can usually get along, but not pairs.

Second thing is to get rid of the ramped water bowl ASAP. Just remove it right now. Those things are literally death traps for our hard shelled tortoises. Use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for water.

Third issue I see is the fake grass. I would not let the tortoises walk on that or have access to it. They are very likely to eat it and get impacted.

Here is the care info for you:

michael.thrasou

Nicosia
Hello and welcome. Those are little Testudo tortoises. Either Testudo graeca or Testudo hermanni.

The first thing is to separate them. Tortoises should never live in pairs. That is bad for both of them. Groups of juveniles can usually get along, but not pairs.

Second thing is to get rid of the ramped water bowl ASAP. Just remove it right now. Those things are literally death traps for our hard shelled tortoises. Use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for water.

Third issue I see is the fake grass. I would not let the tortoises walk on that or have access to it. They are very likely to eat it and get impacted.

Here is the care info for you:

Dear Tom,

thanks for the reply and guidance. I shall study both Testudo (graeca and hermanni) and raise my tortoises accordingly. I shall follow your advice, the one i find difficult to act upon is separating them. Should i have 2 enclosures, one for each? Or a relatively spacious one would suffice and they can stay apart? Retrospectively, should we had owned only one tortoise?

The ramped water bowl will go, although i made sure the water was 1/2 inch depth only...

Fake grass walks stop! Will put them on soil for their walks!

Thanks a lot,
talk soon!
Mike

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dear Tom,

thanks for the reply and guidance. I shall study both Testudo (graeca and hermanni) and raise my tortoises accordingly. I shall follow your advice, the one i find difficult to act upon is separating them. Should i have 2 enclosures, one for each? Or a relatively spacious one would suffice and they can stay apart? Retrospectively, should we had owned only one tortoise?

The ramped water bowl will go, although i made sure the water was 1/2 inch depth only...

Fake grass walks stop! Will put them on soil for their walks!

Thanks a lot,
talk soon!
Mike
They should each gave their own enclosures.

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA
They are fun tortoises to watch and learn about. Really nice people here with THE most recent GOOD information. Read, study and follow the information given by long term members and your babies will be good. Thanks for joining us! Enjoy!!!