Hello from durham help and advice needed please

Mammyjuls

Hi i am going to buy a tortiose and not sure with one to get looked at spur tortoise are these good as a first one also should i get a tortiose table or a enclosed closure ?? And can a yone give me any more adivic3 on tortoises as never had one before thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Read and ask questions here about your species,
The good first one would be one that you can correctly care for.
If you plan to start off with a big species. One that grows large. Be prepared.
If you want a baby, it might be better to start with a closed chamber and not a tortoise table.
Research.
Some tortoises stay smallish and some grow to over 100 pounds.
What do you feel you would want?

Mammyjuls

I dont want a really big one like the lepoared tortise seen them in pet shop a fully grow one and it was huge so dont want one that wilk grow really big also because of were i live we dont gey warm weather that offten so needs to be one right size to stay in a in the house i have been doing some research and also going to pet shops and looking and also asking for advice as well i so far like the spur tortiose and the hermannns butnot quit sure how big they get

I come on here to also ask because i dont belive all pet shops give the right advice ithink some just say any think to get you to buy

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hello and welcome from Scotland! personally I would vote for a hermanns, we have one (1st tort) they dont get too big at all, as far as care goes they are one of the 'easygoing' and 'forgiving' species

have a look through care sheets in the species specific section and it'll give you good knowledge as to what suits you best.

happy tortin' :)

Mammyjuls

Can you buy on big table that will last all the time from baby to adult ? And what size would it need to be also how offten do you need to clean them out once a week ?? And what stuff do i need to put in i know the heat and the lights is it a good idea to get the light with dos both in one light or is it best getting the light and the strip light separed what they need on the bottom an how often do they need cleaning and how do you clean tortoise ??? Sorry now its a lot to ask in one go
any other tips on the care of them what i would need to do

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
your asking the right questions wich is good :).

table wise, in all honesty its best build your own. babys need a smaller size to feel secure, i guess you could build a 4x8ft ( recommended size for adults) and just add a partition wall?

i'll post up a care sheet for a hermanns, alot of reading but its the best advice out there. for torts recommended as 'starters' hermanns, russians.. (trust me they become an obsession) I believe care is pretty much the same.

hopefully it'll point you in the right direction, but any and all questions, someone will answer :)

Mammyjuls

your asking the right questions wich is good :).

table wise, in all honesty its best build your own. babys need a smaller size to feel secure, i guess you could build a 4x8ft ( recommended size for adults) and just add a partition wall?

i'll post up a care sheet for a hermanns, alot of reading but its the best advice out there. for torts recommended as 'starters' hermanns, russians.. (trust me they become an obsession) I believe care is pretty much the same.

hopefully it'll point you in the right direction, but any and all questions, someone will answer :)
Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians, greeks and hermanns should all work well for you.

It is easier to maintain the correct conditions in a closed chamber, especially for a baby. Open tables are only goo if the room air is the correct temperature and humidity for your species. It usually isn't.

Here are some care sheet threads for you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

These will help you to understand what is needed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Juls welcome - you've come to the right place for advice and you're right about pet shops.
What you also need to think of is that as well as the cost of the tortoise and its home you also have the cost of the lights and heating etc I had no idea before my tort adopted me.

I use an Arcadia Mini D3 bulb which costs around £40 but you have light, heat and the vital uv rays all in one bulb, so pretty easy to use.
That is in a ceramic holder with dome/shade =£25 (I have 2 of these one for the CHE below)
Because it is cold in the UK I have a Ceramic Heat Emitter for night (and sometimes day for extra heat) use. = £21 (just heat - no light as torts need darkness to sleep)
That is run through a thermostat which turns it on and off when needed = £35
So you're looking at approx. £150 to get the right equipment on top of the cost of the viv or table.
I bought those things from either Pets at Home or The Range - you may get it cheaper on line.
Sounds a lot and but all needed to make sure your tort is happy and healthy and probably better to have it all ready before you bring him home. Good luck with your search

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Mammyjuls

Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Glad to see you doing your research before you dive in.
You're in Durham, England, right?
I believe what they call spur-thighed tortoises there are Greeks like my darling girl, a pleasant, relatively small ,good starter tortoise in my opinion, biased as I may be.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/
should help.
Hi yes i am from durham and yes that is the name of the tourtiesi was looking at

Mammyjuls

Hi Juls welcome - you've come to the right place for advice and you're right about pet shops.
What you also need to think of is that as well as the cost of the tortoise and its home you also have the cost of the lights and heating etc I had no idea before my tort adopted me.

I use an Arcadia Mini D3 bulb which costs around £40 but you have light, heat and the vital uv rays all in one bulb, so pretty easy to use.
That is in a ceramic holder with dome/shade =£25 (I have 2 of these one for the CHE below)
Because it is cold in the UK I have a Ceramic Heat Emitter for night (and sometimes day for extra heat) use. = £21 (just heat - no light as torts need darkness to sleep)
That is run through a thermostat which turns it on and off when needed = £35
So you're looking at approx. £150 to get the right equipment on top of the cost of the viv or table.
I bought those things from either Pets at Home or The Range - you may get it cheaper on line.
Sounds a lot and but all needed to make sure your tort is happy and healthy and probably better to have it all ready before you bring him home. Good luck with your search
Hi ues i have allready equired about the cost of all the stuff i need ext ..... have seen one for 240 all included and including the hermanns tortoise but now wanting the spur thigh one but the one i seen all includ the the all inclused housing

Mammyjuls

Yes still need to do some more resurch as still unsure on what houseing will be best as all inclosed will be eaiser to keep temp and every think right but when reasrching some people say if they kept in one of them then they can get breathing propblems
so best to have table so still not sure what to get if i go for table will be made by my husband if go for other will buy it trying to work out with one is best

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi ues i have allready equired about the cost of all the stuff i need ext ..... have seen one for 240 all included and including the hermanns tortoise but now wanting the spur thigh one but the one i seen all includ the the all inclused housing
Be careful!
Pet shops almost always sell you the wrong stuff (bad substrate, dangerous drinking bowls, harmful coiled bulbs etc,)
It's usually best to check what you need on this forum, buy it all separately, get your set up right and then get the tortoise.
Hermann's are great too, I've heard.

Mammyjuls

Can i ask do all tortoises have papers with them like the ones i am taking about if i bought a greek tortoise or hemmans should they come with papers so i now before i buy one thanks and thank you everyone for all the advice when i get one i will posr pic on here

Mammyjuls

Are red food tortoises very big when fully grow has people on here got any pics of red food or spur or hemmans tortoise abult ones so i can ge what kind of size they are

These are lovley animals and have wanted one from being little