Hello from England! I need some opinions on my sulcata please :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
With the proper care. will his pyramiding get better as he develops? He was like this when i adopted him.
My leo has some pyramiding which won't go away, but with the correct care it can become less obvious as he grows.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's all well and good, but I don't know if Barnie is a boy or a girl! I've done so much research on it, and he shows signs of both. I've given up guessing and decided to wait until he (or she) is older. Ii does seem that boys are more common than girls, just based on everything i've read.
Yes good idea and best to get the MBD under control before any thoughts of breeding.

gg888

England
As I understand it pairs don't get on, but groups of torts together are OK, so maybe tortoise breeders keep groups of females then when those are sexually mature perhaps they introduce a male to mate. Maybe if you do a search you will find out more.

I am finding weeds hard to find now and my Leo will not touch hay, so for his winter diet I use a combination of Florette Classic Crispy Salad or Sainsburys Mixed leaf salad, Spring greens, kale, some romaine, carrot leaves and beetroot leaves - whatever I can get really. I have tried growing my own weeds from a pack of tortoise seeds but I do not have green fingers. Lola likes to graze on grass during the summer but he won't eat it if it is picked. So I use Friendly Readigrass which I grind up in a blender to sprinkle and spray with water onto his 'salads' to get fibre and calcium etc in.
www.thetortoisetable.co.uk is a great place to check on safe/toxic foods for torts, and the caresheet will give you a good list too.
I also use a mvb bulb (Mine is Arcadia Mini D3 80w but will probably up the wattage for winter)

What are you using for night heat?
I use a ceramic heat emitter run through a thermostat which just gives heat, because as you prob already know torts need darkness to sleep. I got mine from The Range about £55 for both. He also has a radiator in his room so he is nice and cosy.
A good rule I've learnt here is that
right temps + humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort.
Hope this all helps - it's great you want to do your best for Barnie.
I guess i'm lucky that Barnie eats hay then! I also bought some tortoise grazing mix (grass, clover, dandelion etc). I failed miserably growing it on my first attempt, but I think I've got the hang of it now. I haven't actually has to resort to anything for night heat yet. I turn his lamp off at night, and because we keep him in the warmest room of the house, the temperatures aren't dropping too much (we have an old house with lots of insulation). Also his enclosure is covered for the most part, which keeps the majority of the heat in. Now the temperatures are dropping outside, I am going to invest in a heater for him though. I've also been trying to vary his diet up a bit, but it's difficult keeping up with him because he's got a huge appetite!

gg888

England
Yes good idea and best to get the MBD under control before any thoughts of breeding.
I haven't even thought about breeding yet. Perhaps in many years I'll debate it. But he's still a baby really, and still settling in with us. I've had my horsefield from a baby, and his shell is completely smooth. I'm just hoping Barnie will improve. What humidity level do you suggest for a Sulcata home?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I haven't even thought about breeding yet. Perhaps in many years I'll debate it. But he's still a baby really, and still settling in with us. I've had my horsefield from a baby, and his shell is completely smooth. I'm just hoping Barnie will improve. What humidity level do you suggest for a Sulcata home?
The caresheet should give you a better idea of humidity.
Because my leo is in a room with a radiator I use buckets of water and an over-the-radiator humidifier but I still struggle to get the humidity above 60, which is one of the reasons I warm soak usually daily.

The thermostat with the CHE is great because it only switches on when needed to keep the temps even. I also use the CHE for extra heat in the day when it gets colder. It fits in a ceramic bulb holder and hangs like the lamp - very easy

Last edited:

gg888

England
to be honest, originally i was worried about humidity because of shell rot. So its taking some getting used to, doing the opposite of what i originally thought was best!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
to be honest, originally i was worried about humidity because of shell rot. So its taking some getting used to, doing the opposite of what i originally thought was best!
I think moist not damp/wet substrate is the secret and finding the best sort of substrate.
That should be in the caresheet too. Or if you do a search for sulcata substrate you may find out, or even start a new post asking for advice in Enclosures thread or in the Sulcata section I'm sure an experienced sully keeper will get back to you.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Female sulcatas can be just as aggressive as males. I have a female who tried to kill any other sulcata she ever saw. I know she is female because she now lays eggs. She's a new momma.

It may seem fun to you, but "play dates" are not fun for animals that don't "play".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Sulcatas are not prone to shell rot. Really the only species that is sensitive to this is red footed tortoises. Possibly yellow foots too, but I don't know that for sure.

They are also not prone to respiratory infections as long as temps are kept up. The books that say to keep sulcatas at 65 degrees F at night are just plain wrong. Sure they can survive those temps in the right conditions, but that does not make it "good" for them. Baby sulcatas hatch in African rainy season. Its hot, humid, wet, and there are puddles, marshes and green growing food and cover everywhere. My friend Tomas from Senegal tells me there are but two season in the parts of Africa where sulcatas occur: Theres the hot season, and the hotter season. Because of this, sulcatas in the wild spend 95-98% of their lives in underground burrows to avoid the extreme year round heat. Temperatures in North America or Northern Europe are very different.

gg888

England
Female sulcatas can be just as aggressive as males. I have a female who tried to kill any other sulcata she ever saw. I know she is female because she now lays eggs. She's a new momma.

It may seem fun to you, but "play dates" are not fun for animals that don't "play".
It isn't that it seems "fun" to me. It's that i have a young sulcata who hasn't been looked after properly by his previous owner. I'm just trying to do the best I can for him. I might make the odd mistake every now and again, but I'm learning as I go along.
His welfare is first and foremost for me, and I really appreciate any advice I can get. But this is a forum for tortoise owners who are looking for help. The decent thing to do is help and advise, not belittle people. By belittling people, you are driving them away from the forum, thus having a negative effect on the tortoises they keep.

gg888

England
I think moist not damp/wet substrate is the secret and finding the best sort of substrate.
That should be in the caresheet too. Or if you do a search for sulcata substrate you may find out, or even start a new post asking for advice in Enclosures thread or in the Sulcata section I'm sure an experienced sully keeper will get back to you.
That sounds right, I've been lightly spritzing his substrate with water. Also because I don't want it to dry out and irritate him in anyway, because there is an element of sand in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It isn't that it seems "fun" to me. It's that i have a young sulcata who hasn't been looked after properly by his previous owner. I'm just trying to do the best I can for him. I might make the odd mistake every now and again, but I'm learning as I go along.
His welfare is first and foremost for me, and I really appreciate any advice I can get. But this is a forum for tortoise owners who are looking for help. The decent thing to do is help and advise, not belittle people. By belittling people, you are driving them away from the forum, thus having a negative effect on the tortoises they keep.

No belittling intended. Just trying to explain in a way that someone who offered a "play date" to two tortoises would understand.

gg888

England
No belittling intended. Just trying to explain in a way that someone who offered a "play date" to two tortoises would understand.
Please, you will have to explain what you mean by that. I am, after all, a person that put four tortoises in a room in the hopes of socializing them (an easy mistake to make for a person with little experience). You should really be conscientious of the tortoises who's owners need advice, as opposed to focusing on shaming beginners on their mistakes. The tortoises, after all, are everybody's primary concern on this forum. :):tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are solitary
Please, you will have to explain what you mean by that. I am, after all, a person that put four tortoises in a room in the hopes of socializing them (an easy mistake to make for a person with little experience). You should really be conscientious of the tortoises who's owners need advice, as opposed to focusing on shaming beginners on their mistakes. The tortoises, after all, are everybody's primary concern on this forum. :):tort:

Tortoises are solitary animals. They neither want nor need other tortoises for companionship. It stresses them to be put with other tortoises. I'm not trying to put words in Tom's mouth, but I THINK this is what he meant by his comment. And you took it the wrong way. He wasn't trying to belittle you or make fun of you.

gg888

England
Tortoises are solitary

Tortoises are solitary animals. They neither want nor need other tortoises for companionship. It stresses them to be put with other tortoises. I'm not trying to put words in Tom's mouth, but I THINK this is what he meant by his comment. And you took it the wrong way. He wasn't trying to belittle you or make fun of you.
Like i said, I appreciate any advice I can get. Barnie lives alone, and that is the only time he was exposed to other tortoises. I'm aware of my mistake, and luckily nothing bad came of it.
BUT I do not appreciate comments such as: "Just trying to explain in a way that someone who offered a "play date" to two tortoises would understand". This is clearly a roundabout attack on my intelligence, and the sort of comment that can drive inexperienced tort owners away from these forums; this results in inexperienced owners not receiving the advice that they need which can, in the long run, lead to unhealthy tortoises. I am simply pointing out that people should be more considerate, and think about the effects that their comments can have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

If you look hard enough you will find a problem.

I already said that I did not intend to belittle you. Not making fun of anyone. I'm trying to get a point across to help your tortoises.

Since you don't like how I word things, or possibly you are determined to find fault, I will step down and let others try to help you.

I'm just speaking plain English the only way I know how. I apologize if you felt slighted in some way. Bye now.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I think you'll discover there are many folks here that have " rescued" tortoises and are also trying to greatly improve their lives.

I've got a Sulcata too , "Tiny" , who is pyramided. But in less than a year he has shown some improvement. What I noticed is the new growth is separating the peaks farther apart. Makes him look more rounded. Got him at 2.3 lbs, He is 9 lbs now

He will always show his poor start. But otherwise healthy. Like yours - eats great

Good fortune with him (or her ).
Hang in there. My Tiny is a great tortoise , and has personality galore
:)

gg888

England
I think you'll discover there are many folks here that have " rescued" tortoises and are also trying to greatly improve their lives.

I've got a Sulcata too , "Tiny" , who is pyramided. But in less than a year he has shown some improvement. What I noticed is the new growth is separating the peaks farther apart. Makes him look more rounded. Got him at 2.3 lbs, He is 9 lbs now

He will always show his poor start. But otherwise healthy. Like yours - eats great

Good fortune with him (or her ).
Hang in there. My Tiny is a great tortoise , and has personality galore
:)
That's great news, you must be doing a really good job! May I ask what you've done to cause such an improvement? Lighting, calcium, humidity, bathing etc. I'm sort of wishing I had chosen a unisex name for Barnie. His previous owner said the breeder had incubated him as a male, but that isn't exactly reliable :(

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That's great news, you must be doing a really good job! May I ask what you've done to cause such an improvement? Lighting, calcium, humidity, bathing etc. I'm sort of wishing I had chosen a unisex name for Barnie. His previous owner said the breeder had incubated him as a male, but that isn't exactly reliable :(
i wouldn't worry about the name too much.
Lyn, who was chatting with you earlier, has a tortoise called Lola, who is a boy.
I don't think they'll get a complex about it;)