Hello from England

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi, my name is Sarah and we have a horsefield tortoise purchased in August 2018 called FLASH.
It was a gift for my 12 year old daughter who loves reptiles.
He lives indoors in a vivarium.
Im happy to be part of this forum [emoji4]

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome!

I live with Darwin, a redfoot.

We're deep in winter right now, and I cannot wait for warm weather, so that he can get back out onto grass and weeds and dandelions.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah, and welcome to the Forum!

I'd like to make a little suggestion, if you don't mind. Tortoises are hard bodied, that is to say, they don't bend in the middle. So feeding little Flash in that dish with the high sides is hard for him. He has to stretch out his neck to reach inside, and that puts him in a pretty vulnerable position far as predators are concerned. I think you'll find he eats much better if you feed him on a flat stone/tile.

Also, I like to use a substrate that I can slightly moisten, that's why I choose fir bark. The alfalfa pellets you're using would mold if you wet them, and baby tortoises need a bit of humidity in their lives, so slightly wetting the substrate is a good idea.

Please read our care sheet for baby Horsefields tortoises:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

UK
Thanx Yvonne

Where can I get fir bark? Any suggestions, I’m in the UK.
I didn’t realise he needed humidity.

I have a piece of slate Tile I can use for his food. He usually gets in the bowl and then starts eating
But loves to poo in there too ‍♀️

Thank u for the suggestions

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
@JoesMum lives in Kent and has a wealth of knowledge and tortoise keeping experience. She or one of our other members in the UK can advise you on local resources. Fir bark is the same thing as "orchid bark," which you can find at most garden centers. Just make sure the orchid bark doesn't have any other additives mixed in.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanx Yvonne

Where can I get fir bark? Any suggestions, I’m in the UK.
I didn’t realise he needed humidity.

I have a piece of slate Tile I can use for his food. He usually gets in the bowl and then starts eating
But loves to poo in there too ‍♀️

Thank u for the suggestions
Welcome Sarah, humidity is a must. 80% or more all the time. The only way to accomplish this is with a completely closed enclosure. I started my sully dry and now I am fighting pyramiding.

UK
@JoesMum lives in Kent and has a wealth of knowledge and tortoise keeping experience. She or one of our other members in the UK can advise you on local resources. Fir bark is the same thing as "orchid bark," which you can find at most garden centers. Just make sure the orchid bark doesn't have any other additives mixed in.

Thank you:)

UK
Welcome Sarah, humidity is a must. 80% or more all the time. The only way to accomplish this is with a completely closed enclosure. I started my sully dry and now I am fighting pyramiding.

Definitely don’t want pyramiding
He lives in a vivarium with a basking light and uv tube light
I’m going to change that bedding to bed increase humidity.
Thanx

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Definitely don’t want pyramiding
He lives in a vivarium with a basking light and uv tube light
I’m going to change that bedding to bed increase humidity.
Thanx
I dont know if Horse fields need to be soaked everyday for 1/2hr like sulcata's do. It keeps them hydrated. I will do some research.

UK

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Most people aren't told about the need for a humid environment for young tortoises. That's why it's so good you joined this forum. The recommendations here come from numerous experiments and real life comparative studies that TFO members (and others) have done, all to determine the best ways to raise the healthiest tortoises.

UK
Most people aren't told about the need for a humid environment for young tortoises. That's why it's so good you joined this forum. The recommendations here come from numerous experiments and real life comparative studies that TFO members (and others) have done, all to determine the best ways to raise the healthiest tortoises.

Thank you
I’m bathing him everyday now
And getting the orchid bark for the humidity
He is such a joy to have as part of our family[emoji4]

UK
Can I ask when is the best time to bath a tortoise?
I wait till he is up basking for a good while (so his body temp ok)
Then bath him after that
Also should I be putting water over his shell by hand?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Can I ask when is the best time to bath a tortoise?
I wait till he is up basking for a good while (so his body temp ok)
Then bath him after that
Also should I be putting water over his shell by hand?
I have turtles, not tortoises, and all of my turtles can swim, so... I'm going to defer to other members with more specific expertise about the soaking questions.

Try posting those questions in the Species Specific part of the forum, or in the General Tortoise Discussion.

I can tell you that a soak in warm water will bring up the tortoise's temperature (up to the water temperature). Don't make it TOO hot, but don't let it cool down, either. With my box turtle, I usually feed her during or after her soaks, when she's warm enough yo be active and digest.