Hello from England

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Can I ask when is the best time to bath a tortoise?
I wait till he is up basking for a good while (so his body temp ok)
Then bath him after that
Also should I be putting water over his shell by hand?
Welcome fellow Brit, I recommend soaking your tortoise every morning as it really gets them going:D

UK
Thanks Ben
I have his lights on from 8am n off at 9pm
He stays in his hide until noon-ish
When he comes out he just basks for an hour then goes for his food
I worry if I put him straight into the bath he might get cold (obsessive mother!)
The water is nice n warm

Do u pour/rub water over all of his shell too? As the level of the water is just until the upper n lower shells meet

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Thanks Ben
I have his lights on from 8am n off at 9pm
He stays in his hide until noon-ish
When he comes out he just basks for an hour then goes for his food
I worry if I put him straight into the bath he might get cold (obsessive mother!)
The water is nice n warm

Do u pour/rub water over all of his shell too? As the level of the water is just until the upper n lower shells meet
Yep just sprinkle a little bit of water on his shell just to keep it clean and hydrated. This may sound cruel but I drag mine out of bed each morning if they are not already up and place them straight in the bath, it really gets them hungry and excited for breakfast though. You can keep the water warm by placing it in the enclosure near the heat lamp. Hope this helps. :)

UK
Thanks Ben
I’m glad you told me that
I didn’t want to feel I was being cruel!
I do place the bathing tub inside the enclosure so it keeps warm
Being in the North of England I’m always aware it’s too cold for him so obsess a bit (or a lot!)
I will bath him when he is up in the morning as he does get more active
My daughter says it’s his little hot tub!
[emoji23]

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Thanks Ben
I’m glad you told me that
I didn’t want to feel I was being cruel!
I do place the bathing tub inside the enclosure so it keeps warm
Being in the North of England I’m always aware it’s too cold for him so obsess a bit (or a lot!)
I will bath him when he is up in the morning as he does get more active
My daughter says it’s his little hot tub!
[emoji23]
Mine used to hate baths but now they stretch out and sometimes fall asleep:D

Joawat_12

Whitley Bay
Hi, my name is Sarah and we have a horsefield tortoise purchased in August 2018 called FLASH.
It was a gift for my 12 year old daughter who loves reptiles.
He lives indoors in a vivarium.
Im happy to be part of this forum [emoji4]
Hi my name is Joanne, I am from Whitley Bay in England I have 2 Horsefield tortoises 1 called Shelby & 1 called turbo. Just thought I'd say hello to everyone. I've really enjoyed reading what people have to say & have found it quite interesting. I havent had my tortoises very long was given them by a friend. I am looking for a new house for them to live in. Shelby is quite big she is 9yrs old & is quite big & turbo is 4yrs. Hes not as big as her but he keeps pestering her so I need another home. All the tortoise tables are too small ?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi my name is Joanne, I am from Whitley Bay in England I have 2 Horsefield tortoises 1 called Shelby & 1 called turbo. Just thought I'd say hello to everyone. I've really enjoyed reading what people have to say & have found it quite interesting. I havent had my tortoises very long was given them by a friend. I am looking for a new house for them to live in. Shelby is quite big she is 9yrs old & is quite big & turbo is 4yrs. Hes not as big as her but he keeps pestering her so I need another home. All the tortoise tables are too small ?
Hi and welcome. Do you have a garden as you might have to make an outdoor enclosure

Joawat_12

Whitley Bay
Hi and welcome. Do you have a garden as you might have to make an outdoor enclosure

Thank you Ben02,yes I do have a garden. i think I'm just going to have to build something as Shelby is 9 yrs old and is 6 and halve inches wide and 6 and a half inches long she is a big girl lol She has laid an egg before with turbo but my friends had her then and the temperature was not done right so it came to nothing, so I have bought an incubator, I think she would lay another 1 if the enclosure was big enough as she has nowhere to hide from turbo and they need peace as well and hes basically doing her head in.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I would definitely separate them as it can be dangerous if turbo constantly wants to mate with her. I would do a bit of research, perhaps on this forum on making an out door enclosure and you will also need a heated night box unless you decide to bring them in each night.

Joawat_12

Whitley Bay
I would definitely separate them as it can be dangerous if turbo constantly wants to mate with her. I would do a bit of research, perhaps on this forum on making an out door enclosure and you will also need a heated night box unless you decide to bring them in each night.
Thank you Ben02 I think I will probably end up seperating them although they have been together for years, but he is bothering her all the time and is being quite aggressive biting her face and legs, thanks for the info Ben02.

UK
Hi Joanne, I’m Sarah and live down the road from u! (Not literally [emoji23]) I live in Newcastle.
A lot of people on the forum say 2 tortoises shouldn’t be kept together as bullying can occur or constant mating.
I have Flash in a vivarium as he is about a year old n very small. Keeps the humidity in for the little guy.
I wonder how big each enclosure needs it to be?
What are they keep in at the moment?
Lovely to meet u!

UK
Could I please ask a question
Are artificial plants from pets at home ok to use in my vivarium?

UK
Wot sorts of things do u have in ur tortoise enclosure?
I have a hide, water bowl and food dish ma piece of slate under the basking lamp n that’s it...

UK
I have a water dish, humid hide, regular hide, food slate,basking lamp, camera(optional) and a cuttle bone.

Thanx Ben, what’s a cuttle bone? Is it to reduce peak formation? Where would I get one from?

UK

Joawat_12

Whitley Bay
Hi Joanne, I’m Sarah and live down the road from u! (Not literally [emoji23]) I live in Newcastle.
A lot of people on the forum say 2 tortoises shouldn’t be kept together as bullying can occur or constant mating.
I have Flash in a vivarium as he is about a year old n very small. Keeps the humidity in for the little guy.
I wonder how big each enclosure needs it to be?
What are they keep in at the moment?
Lovely to meet u!

Hi Sarah, nice to meet you too, I have had a massive tortoise box built for me as they were in one of them starter tortoise tables to begin with which was far too small but they are as I say in a bigger one now, I have 2 bedding areas now which have a sliding door between them if he does her head in as he is getting quite aggresive with her at times, I have considered seperating them but they have always been together Shelby the girl is 9 yrs old and Turbo is 4 yrs old, I got them off my friend, I asked them how they have been going on with them regarding him biting & sometimes pulls her around by her shell hes quite naughty lol.but they said they just put Turbo in a box which to me isn't an ideal soloution thats why i made the bedding areas on this tortoise house seperate so I dont have to seperate them completely from each other as I do want to breed them but not sure about when the right time is for them to lay an egg is so been trying to leave them to get on with it but when I know that hes being aggresive and shes not happy Ive just been putting him or her in their own bedding area. What do you think coz a dont want to be stressing them out either by keep moving one of them,
What kind of tortoise do you have sarah, and what kind of food do you give to your tortoise on a daily basis ?

Joawat_12

Whitley Bay
Hi Sarah, nice to meet you too, I have had a massive tortoise box built for me as they were in one of them starter tortoise tables to begin with which was far too small but they are as I say in a bigger one now, I have 2 bedding areas now which have a sliding door between them if he does her head in as he is getting quite aggresive with her at times, I have considered seperating them but they have always been together Shelby the girl is 9 yrs old and Turbo is 4 yrs old, I got them off my friend, I asked them how they have been going on with them regarding him biting & sometimes pulls her around by her shell hes quite naughty lol.but they said they just put Turbo in a box which to me isn't an ideal soloution thats why i made the bedding areas on this tortoise house seperate so I dont have to seperate them completely from each other as I do want to breed them but not sure about when the right time is for them to lay an egg is so been trying to leave them to get on with it but when I know that hes being aggresive and shes not happy Ive just been putting him or her in their own bedding area. What do you think coz a dont want to be stressing them out either by keep moving one of them,
What kind of tortoise do you have sarah, and what kind of food do you give to your tortoise on a daily basis ?

Yes I do have a garden but I wanted them as house pets really I would probably put them out in the summer but a think it may be too cold for them yet, am a softie a would be out there putting a blanket on them lol