Hello from Florida!

Shortysmom

Hello, my name is Diane. I am the owner of an African Sulcata (Shorty) who is 13 years old and 100+ lbs. Ive had him his entire life and he has become a handful. He is burrowing everywhere and destroying all in his path. I have built him an enclosure and he wont go in it. I have blocked off burrowing areas with cinder blocks and he burrows under them. I would like to limit his roam of the yard to prevent further damage but i do not know which material will work the best. I live in Florida and need to create a barrier of sorts to keep him within a specific area on the property. Anyone have any helpful ideas? Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Diane:

Every night (and I know it's going to be hard because of his size) put him into the shelter and block the door so he can't get out. You CAN train him to go in there at night, but 1) it has to provide the comfort he's looking for in a burrow - cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and 2) big enough, yet small enough for him to feel safe and secure. Be persistent. Do this every night no matter how long it takes. Don't lose faith. It will work eventually.

I've been very lucky with my Dudley. He has never offered to dig, thank goodness. I have a shed for him:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/dudleys-rebuild.111350/

During the day when Dudley isn't interested in going into his shed, he spends his time relaxing under a large bush (seen on the right in this picture):

Dudley's yard 3-5-12.jpg

Tortoises don't just dig to be digging. He's obviously trying to find the right environment for himself. If you don't provide it above ground, he's going to make his own by digging underground.