Hello from Florida!

MotherofMonitors

Location (City and/or State)
Palm Harbor
Hello fellow members, my name is Amber and I'm from the sunshine state. I'm a proud Sulcata mom and I recently gained a new member to my reptile family which would be a Savannah Monitor. If anyone has any helpful information on caring for Savannah monitors or monitors in general, please feel free to share :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

I think your go to guy would be. @Tom. .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I've raised a few Savannahs. I can never spell it right without looking it up though.

Most sources recommend keeping them too dry. They do best with a lightly dampened substrate. I prefer coco chips, but fine grade orchid bark works too. Coco coir is nice for them to dig into, but its really messy. One important detail is to get an opaque rubbermaid tub that is large enough for your lizard to curl up in and put 6-8" layer of damp substrate in it. Use a hole saw or Dremmel tool and cut out a door hole just big enough for the lizard to fit through. This will serve as a humid hide and a secure hiding place. I use dark green ones and then bury them and cover the lid with substrate to make them blend in a little better. Open the lid once a week or so and check the level of dampness. Add water as needed.

Another important detail is that little ones are primarily insectivores. If you don't know what a Blaptica dubia is, look it up and get started on a colony quickly. Don't feed a lot of rodents and cat food.

Ask lots of questions and I hope we get to see pics!