Hello from Glasgow!

Rachaelxxx

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi there, just wanted to introduce myself!

I recently adopted a 9 year old female tortoise named Marcia. She was in really bad conditions before I took her and lived in a wooden box with no substrate or hide, the UVA light was rarely even turned on, she was very infrequently bathed and she wasn't fed very often. It took me a long time to convince my parents to let me adopt her because we don't have much space but now that she's here, we all love her.

Because of the dire conditions she lived in before, we want to make sure she has the best life possible. Marcia now has a much bigger enclosure inside (it's too cold and wet in Glasgow to let her outside frequently) and we use bark and hay (in her hide) as her substrate. We have a UVA light for her to bask which we turn on from 9am till 7pm and we also have a UVB light. We have tried to feed her healthily but whenever we do, she doesn't touch the food we leave out. In her old home, she was only fed things like carrots and broccoli with some occasional rocket so she's used to this and is very fussy as a result. We don't want to starve her but we were wondering if you had any solutions to help her eat a little better?

We are very lucky as Marcia doesn't seem particularly damaged from her old home (she was only there for around 3 months) and she's very confident and bold and will allow others to touch and pet her. She particularly loves being hand fed though she can bite occasionally.

I still don't know much about tortoises and wouldn't have adopted one if I didn't see how badly she was living before. But now we have her, we love her and just want to look after her to the best of our ability.

Any advice would be wonderful!

With love from Glasgow x

IMG_8326.JPG IMG_8328.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to you from Kent UK

@johnandjade is just down the road from you in Paisley :)

Congratulations on the rescue.

Your tort's new home does need adjustment however to provide the warm humid and spacious environment it needs for healthy growth.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides, if you haven't already, and compare them with your setup which looks too small and too dry to me.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Young Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

By all means, feed Marcia what she's been used to eating. But chop up the good food into tiny pieces and incorporate it into her old diet. Weekly, or even monthly (it takes a long time) add more of the good stuff and less of the old stuff and eventually you'll have Marcia eating what she's supposed to be eating.

In Scotland your tortoise is called a Horsefield's or testudo horsefieldii. We've shortened that to Russian, but don't ask me why, as there's no tortoises in Russia. So read the Russian tortoise care sheet that JoesMum has linked for you. A lot of good information in there for you.

Be thinking of upgrading Marcia's enclosure to an even bigger one. While she's now living in more spacious quarters than she was before, it's still quite a bit too small for a full grown Russian tortoise.

Rachaelxxx

Glasgow, Scotland
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice! Will be certain to read all the guides and see what I can do in regards to changing up her environment a little to suit her needs! We have been talking about upgrading the enclosure for a while to make it a little bigger so we will definitely look into it and see what we can do

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Rachel, (your avatar photo looks surprisingly familiar, do i know you from somewhere?) and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Marcia.
I agree with all the above and would add that Russian tortoises need a lot of space, they are adventurous and energetic and roam large territories in the wild. A minimum of four feet by eight is necessary for this species. They also need the exercise for their digestive system to function properly.
Thank you for helping the little girl out! :)

Rachaelxxx

Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to try and make her enclosure a little bigger but unfortunately having the space to do so is an issue for me at the moment. Ill see what I can work out as I do want her to be as happy and healthy as possible!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Some members add space by having a double-decker enclosure, one level with a ramp with safety rails leading up to another level. This can help with limited space.

Ernie Johnson

5 Year Member
McKinney, Texas
Rachael, I'm married to a Scot (Lumsden) so welcome!

Also, I have a Russian tort husbandry video course I'm happy to send you a free link to (its an hour long) that should help and answer any questions you have on their care.

Ernie