Hello from gloucester (england)

Amossharon

Hello I'm sharon, I picked up my horsfeild tortoise on saturday (10/09/16) she well we think so is called luna. I must say she is a little character...she has had a good explore of her table and I think she has settled in well although she hasn't actually eaten yet but have read that this is not uncommon ..I will try to upload pictures but not really that tech savvy you will have to let me know if it shows ha ha..I have been told luna is a year and a bit old she weighs 226g and is 4 1/2 inches long would this correspond with her age? ...sorry to waffle on but I am very excited about having luna in our family..I look forward to learning all about your experiences and tips on ensuring luna has the best life she can..

1473765614258-1471111681.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to you and Luna from Kent on t'other side of the UK :)

Can I suggest that you read the following. They're written by species experts who are working hard to correct the outdated information that's widely available on the internet and from pet shops and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Russian (Horsfield) Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you perfect things for your new chum. She'll be with you for the next 50+ years so it's important to get it right. :)

Amossharon

Thank you I look forward to reading the links you have sent and I will post pics when I get back home

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum Sharon! You've come to the right place for all the information needed to raise a healthy tortoise.

Amossharon

Enclosed I think are some photos of her table hope these help to determine if I am taking the right steps to a healthy happy life I bath her everyday as believe this is a good way to hydrate her.. thanks and would appreciate any comments

Attachments

• 14737803059541415805165.jpg
    14737803059541415805165.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • 1473780348735836967194.jpg
    1473780348735836967194.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 14737803733981935454256.jpg
    14737803733981935454256.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 13

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi there are some immediate obvious changes that I would recommend. When you read the links, you'll see why.

1. The enclosure is too dry. Your little one needs humidity to grow healthy.

To achieve this you need a substrate that holds moisture like coco coir or orchid bark (from a garden centre is fine as long as it has no additives).

The substrate you have contains white bits that your tort may be tempted to eat. It's not good for the tort to eat the substrate even if the white bits are calcium.

You also need to enclose it to hild the moisture in and stabilise temperatures- a lid of some sort, but not under the lamp.

2. Those reptile bowls are not suitable for torts. They're a tipping hazard. A cheap terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate is a much safer water bowl. A flat piece of slate or rock will help with beak maintenance and is easier to eat off.

3. To get the desired 35C directly under the basking lamp, lower it towards the substrate. I'll post a lighting summary shortly.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary:

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort's diet is leafy greens. Sprinkle with a tiny pinch of calcium 3 times a week.

Your tort cannot digest sugars properly- they cause digestive and kidney problems - so fruit, tomato, peppers and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally (no banana- it's too sugary)

Here's a list of suitable greens

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Sharon and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Luna.:)
Good advice given by Joe's Mum, so i would only add that it looks like you have a pretty little Russian there and i would add something like spider plants to add interest and hidey places to the enclosure.
Oh, and i lived in Bristol for some years and know Gloucestershire pretty well.
Lovely area, if a bit cold and wet sometimes.

Amossharon

Thank you all and I take on board all that you have said the soil is what was recommended and is for tortoises was told to spray it down couple times a week but will defiantly look into what you suggest joesmum the basking temp is showing at between 32 and 35 which is why it is so high think it may be the humid weather we are currently having..I will Def change his bowls as would hate anything to happen to her...tidgys dad would that be live plants in there if so would they just be in small pots I have heard to put a slate under basking lamp would you guys suggest I do that aswell? Glad I joined this site as it seems I'm not doing things quite right..and can now correct this..

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you all and I take on board all that you have said the soil is what was recommended and is for tortoises was told to spray it down couple times a week but will defiantly look into what you suggest joesmum the basking temp is showing at between 32 and 35 which is why it is so high think it may be the humid weather we are currently having..I will Def change his bowls as would hate anything to happen to her...tidgys dad would that be live plants in there if so would they just be in small pots I have heard to put a slate under basking lamp would you guys suggest I do that aswell? Glad I joined this site as it seems I'm not doing things quite right..and can now correct this..
Yes, live plants, I plant them into the substrate but some use pots, I believe, don't think it matters.
Never forget that some things are 'recommended' by pet shops just trying to make money or on forums with old information.
Spraying doesn't work for me, i poor water straight into the substrate and mix in by hand.

Amossharon

I've just got to say and I'm pretty excited luna has just eaten her greens...I've tried all sorts for her from rocket to dandilion to clover now I need to introduce all the new flavours that she turned her nose up to..happy mummy:)..

Amossharon

Would be good if people could put pics of their tortoise and homes give me ideas of set ups etc...If this is allowed not really sure of the etiquette... (If spelt correct )

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I've just got to say and I'm pretty excited luna has just eaten her greens...I've tried all sorts for her from rocket to dandilion to clover now I need to introduce all the new flavours that she turned her nose up to..happy mummy:)..
Splendid news!
i remember how thrilled i was when Tidgy started eating.
A joyous moment!:)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England