Harvey_Halfshell

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton
Hi all, just joined the forum so thought I'd introduce my 6-year-old Russian tortoise (re)named Harvey. Had him for around 4 months and he is a joy to keep! Built him and outdoor enclosure with a secure heavy-gauge mesh lid but he has been very lethargic as the weather here in the UK has been super hot. He has spent a lot of the time burrowed down in his enclosure and is eating much less than in the Spring. Took him to the vets last week cuz he had stopped eating but vet seemed to think he was fine apart from a growth line on his shell that suggested that he had grown a bit too quickly back in the Spring but apparently it wasn't much to worry about.

Harvey's bathtime 2.JPG

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Hi all, just joined the forum so thought I'd introduce my 6-year-old Russian tortoise (re)named Harvey. Had him for around 4 months and he is a joy to keep! Built him and outdoor enclosure with a secure heavy-gauge mesh lid but he has been very lethargic as the weather here in the UK has been super hot. He has spent a lot of the time burrowed down in his enclosure and is eating much less than in the Spring. Took him to the vets last week cuz he had stopped eating but vet seemed to think he was fine apart from a growth line on his shell that suggested that he had grown a bit too quickly back in the Spring but apparently it wasn't much to worry about.

View attachment 348231
Welcome to the Forum. You will be happy here, and will find most of your questions answered by a group of experienced keepers.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
Welcome , nice tort, great story, you are in the right place. Take advantage of the knowledge in the forum your tort will thank you

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello, welcome to the forum. Lovely little tortoise! Make sure your tortoise is not too hot outside, and has a nice deep shade area to hide in. Can we see some pics of his outdoor enclosure?

Harvey_Halfshell

Southampton
Hello, welcome to the forum. Lovely little tortoise! Make sure your tortoise is not too hot outside, and has a nice deep shade area to hide in. Can we see some pics of his outdoor enclosure?
Sure. :) The thing that looks like a log is tree bark. Pics show some wood sorrel (shamrock), which is toxic in large amounts but I am managing it. Plenty more good weeds like dandelion, plantain and sow thistle have grown up since. Will also mix in some coarse sand at some point!

Attachments

• Harvey's outdoor enclosure 1.JPG
    Harvey's outdoor enclosure 1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Harvey's tree bark shelter.JPG
    Harvey's tree bark shelter.JPG
    994.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Harvey's outdoor enclosure 3.JPG
    Harvey's outdoor enclosure 3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3