Hello from Homestead FL

DanB

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
HI all, I'm new to Tortoises but have been raising Geckos and spiders for a long time. As a kid we had wild tortoises in your back yard but did nothing with them but watch them. Now I'm an owner of a 4 month old Redfoot who is a joy to watch. I'm hoping to find some consistent information on him, so many sites have contradicting info on food, lightning and bedding. Ill post some pics soon in the correct section.

Dan

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Most of the info collected here on torts is derived from many years of experience from handlers and breeders. Are there differing opinions on some things? Absolutely. We have special sections of the forum labeled: "Advanced Tortoise Topics" and "Debatable Topics" where folks can hash out these differing opinions. Very well worth a read! There are even debates over info publicized on other sites. "Humidity" seems to be a big one, as just one example. The care sheets that are included with various species of tortoises commonly kept as pets (including redfoots) are derived from well experienced folks as well. I hope you get as much from this forum as I have!

DanB

South Florida
I own a house in Cape Coral and will be moving back in 4 years. For now Im in a condo with a very small patio that's all concrete. He will spend some time out there but not full time until we get back to the cape.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Dan!