Hello from Houston, TX!

Kotter

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
Hi all. New to the forum and new owner of 2 baby Sulcatas. I’ve raised all sorts of animals all my life, but tortoises are brand new to me. I’ve got them set up and eating well right now (today is 2 weeks that I’ve had them) and I’m working on plans for a table that I will hopefully have time to build this weekend.

I did a ton of reading, watching videos, and “studying” for at least a good 6 months prior to purchasing Rocco & Emmett, but one of the things I apparently missed is how pairs are bad as they mature. So, now I’m thinking of getting a third to offset that - but is 3 enough to alleviate that or will there be the same problems? Otherwise, I’ll plan to keep them in separate enclosures when they get bigger.

Thanks!

Carter.

Attachments

• 99353F2B-3BC3-4417-B63F-0482A7F1A861.jpeg
    99353F2B-3BC3-4417-B63F-0482A7F1A861.jpeg
    913.5 KB · Views: 8

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well a lot depends on what sex they are . People do keep females and one male together . But the enclosure needs to be big and have site barriers so they can't see each other. As for the two babies it's best to build two enclosures . They will bully each other . One will get the best of everything . The other gets the left overs . You'll see one hiding more than the other. The one that hides more will not grow as fast . It could possibly lead to the death of the less dominant one. If you go to the sulcata section read all of the top post and care sheets it's explained in detail.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Mike Taylors post. Better to separate and stick with just the two or rehome one and have just one. If you get another one and have all males then now your stuck with 3 enclosures and they need to have a lot of room when they are bigger.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Given that you can never guarantee they will get along, even as a threesome, you should only ever keep as many as you have room for kept separately.

Sulcatas are one of the most territorial species, regardless of gender, and they grow rapidly to 100lb+ bulldozers. They only see other tortoises as rivals for food and space. They don’t get lonely.

I too would keep them separately and rehome one if that’s not going to be practical in the next couple of years when they end up outdoors full time.

Kotter

Houston, TX
Thanks all! That’s kinda what I suspected. I do have plenty of room for separate enclosures when they get larger, so I’ll just move along keeping a close eye on them, their behavior, and their weights, separating them when the need arises.

Currently, Rocco is more outgoing than Emmett, but at the same time, he also likes to spend more time napping in their hide. Emmett goes in whenever he wants and he likes to nap there some (as well as sleeping overnight), but more often he naps in the food bowl or the basking area. He’ll wake and snack, nap, wake, munch, snooze, rinse, repeat. Rocco will come out of the hide and hit the food bowl then do laps, snagging a bite each time he passes the food bowl. Then he’ll go back into the hide and sleep some more. That’s their day!