Hello from Indonesia

rakaabdi

Location (City and/or State)
Samarinda
Hi. As the title suggested, I'm from Indonesia, Samarinda of East Kalimantan to be precise. I'm new with all these tortoise stuff and just got Jerry, my baby sulcata this November. I got interested at keeping reptiles after i got my RES few months prior. Eager to learn from the veterans here. 😁

And... I don't really want to ask for things really soon, but Jerry has been sleeping alot but does do occasional walks now and there for food. The thing that bugs me is that he doesn't seem to be wanting to drink. Is it normal for sulcatas to do so?

Btw, here I attach a picture of Jerry.

Thank u!

Attachments

• 16702893384757811208119180388328.jpg
    16702893384757811208119180388328.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Soak him in a bowl of warm water daily for about a half hour - something he can't climb out of.

And a suggestion for you : those chunks of coconut husk are very hard for a baby to walk on. He'd do better with fir bark (Reptibark).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a high humidity enclosure. If you soak that substrate will it fall apart? If so do that and then you can still use it. If not then switch to fine grade fir bark as Yvonne suggested
Please read the sulcata care sheet and closed chamber threads.
Welcome and ask away.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Make sure to soak him every day as advised but don't make the water level any higher than half way up his shell when he is wading.

rakaabdi

Samarinda
He needs a high humidity enclosure. If you soak that substrate will it fall apart? If so do that and then you can still use it. If not then switch to fine grade fir bark as Yvonne suggested
Please read the sulcata care sheet and closed chamber threads.
Welcome and ask away.
Hi, i've read the sheet and it does said it needs humidity. The area in which the tortoise live is around 65% of humidity, should i raise it? Thank you beforehand. And if i need to raise the water, does sprinkling water to the enclosure if the sulcata got a flu would be alright?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The area may be 65,% but with heat and lights it won't be that high. Get a meter that will read humidity levels and yes raise the humidity to 80%.
The temps should never go below 80 day and night with a basking spot of 95-100, and he won't get sick.