Hello from Iowa

Wednesday

Hello everyone!
Today I got my first tortoise, he is a Russian tortoise and my 4 year old and I are still deciding which name is best :) I am a reptile lover and do as much research as I can to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I used to have a very spoiled 4ft iguana, but figured he was a bit unpredictable with a little one. I'm excited to talk to others with experience and see pictures.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. We love pictures of tortoises and enclosures around here. I also have a Russian, they are a lot of fun.

Wednesday

Already have! I've been researching for a week and even sexed the tortoises at the pet store (they had no idea lol).

Wednesday

I measured the underneath of his shell (not sure what the term is) and it is just under 4 inches, anyone know an estimation on age?

AnimalLady

I measured the underneath of his shell (not sure what the term is) and it is just under 4 inches, anyone know an estimation on age?
There really is no way to guess the age, he could be 10, 20 years old. The only real way to know a torts age is to know the hatch date. Your guy looks like a Russian, many RTs are wild caught, making it impossible to know the true age.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I am next door to Iowa, in Nebraska.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, :tort: to you and to your cute little tort!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Wednesday, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Sweet looking tortoise!