Hello from Kentucky!

Tara R

5 Year Member
Hello!
My name is Tara. I have a 9 year old, female red footed tortoise named Sheldon. After babysitting her on several occasions, a co-worker realized that Sheldon would lead a much happier and healthier life coming to live with me. I've had her for about 8 months now. Since snowmagedon just came through we have heat lamps and pads galore to stay warm. When it's warm outside, Sheldon likes going to the park nearby and hanging out on the back deck to sun bathe. She's very active compared to other tortoises I've been around. She has a well rounded diet of fruits, veggies, limited proteins and grains. She soaks almost daily if not every other day depending on our schedules. I have noticed twice in the past month, she is holding water in her mouth then walking around and spitting out. Do you know why she would be doing this?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Welcome! Redfooteds are great!

I'm curious to hear more about your diet - what kinds of grains are you offering? Is it just snacking on seed pods in the enclosure (I've definitely seen that) or are you providing them in some other form?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to a mine of up to date information on all things tort related.
There is a section on Redfoots under Species Specific where you will find all sorts of advice and info
http://www.redfoottortoise.com/ may also interest you.
The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is a great to help you avoid pitfalls encountered by others.
www.thetortoisetable is a good guide to tort safe foods.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Maybe she's just wants to help water the ground so more weeds will grow faster:D
I have no idea, but a video of her doing would be cool to see.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi and welcome to the forum. Is she/he eating well? May it can't swallow or has a obstruction. I hope it is neither. Stick around and someone with more experience then I will give you a better idea. Please send a video it would be a big help.