Hello from Koa the Leopard!

koathetort

Location (City and/or State)
Victoria, BC
Hi there! My name is Kate, and I’m located on the west coast of BC, Canada. I’m about to be the proud owner of a beautiful 9 month old high white leopard tortoise. She’s extremely well started and is growing like a weed at her breeders house until I’m back from vacation!

I had a baby leo that tragically passed away with no known cause (their temps, humidity and diet were all great, I got advice here and from their breeder!). She stopped eating a few days before she passed. I did a ton of research before owning my first baby, but am still pretty new to tortoise keeping!

I am currently in the process of building a closed chamber enclosure for her (about 4x2 feet) with Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB/UVA tubes, a basking spot on one end, and a CHE for supplemental heat at night. I’m using orchid bark for the substrate.

I’m also going to be creating an outdoor enclosure for her, Probably about the same size as her indoor enclosure out of plywood with wire mesh on top. Koa will only be outside for a few hours a day (She’s still small) for the next couple months since it gets cold here around the end of September.

please feel free to reply with anything you think I should change! I would also love to see pictures of your torts!

-Kate and Koa

2DA7185A-A69C-4397-AE00-30E72D073559.jpeg35AE832A-AFA0-40EA-8749-7136EA78B967.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Congrats, hopefully you went with a different breeder this time?

koathetort

Victoria, BC
Thank you! The breeder definitely wasn’t the issue, he’s great and has raised hundreds of babies over many years. Doesn’t start them dry, soaks twice a day, and super knowledgeable about everything. No one could figure out what was going on with my last baby, it broke my heart when she passed away.