Hello from London, ON. Canada

TheSanguineSaint

Location (City and/or State)
London, ON. Canada
I am so happy to have found this site! I live in London, Ontario Canada. I have been a keeper for many years(18+). I recently lost our Red footed tortoise Cleopatra. I am a retired dog, cat and bird groomer, trainer and rabies vector wildlife rehabber. Through my work in rescue I was at an overcrowding seizure. There happened to be a tortoise in the mix of animals. I adopted her over 12 years ago after she was found in that horrible state of health. She was of unknown age but looked to be full grown. She had awful pyramiding of her shell and sickly. Her liver and kidney enzymes were through the roof. After much care and finding an excellent vet she did well.The biggest isssue was her shell state. She got infections every once in a while due to her compromised shell. An infection was what took her finally. We were devastated but have finally decided to open our lives to a new or several new tortoise. We want to do adoption opposed to just purchasing a young tortoise. We dont care if there is an adoption fee. We can care for special needs and have an excellent vet nearby. I am always reading and trying to learn as much as possible. I look forward to chatting with fellow enthusiasts too. Please feel free to intro yourself. I am hoping to meet others in the same area especially. Wishing you and your littles all the best! See you around. Cheers
:<3::tort::):tort::<3:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm so sorry to hear about your redfoot, but at least the last years of her life were in a loving home.

We do have other members from Canada, and from all over the world. I'm in Southern California, and have a desert tortoise around 12 years old.
Here's a picture of Chug...do you have a pic of your dear redfoot to share?
20181018_120909.jpeg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome! Glad you found us! I have 2 rescued Russian torts. It breaks my heart to hear about and see mistreated tortoises but it pieces my heart back together to hear the rescue stories! So glad you're ready for another rescue.
I occasionally torture myself by looking at tortoises for sale on Craigslist.. plenty of poor shelled ones who are in a bad place and likely to wind up in another. Oh if I only had the space I'd take them all!
I'm sure it won't take you long to find your new torts :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome I commend you on your compassion. Sounds like any rescue would be lucky to have you. I wish LaLap wouldn't have mentioned Craigslist. Now I am going to look there. LOL

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello there and welcome! My brothers live in Toronto and Scarborough, Ontario but I am here in Jamaica.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to you from Central CAlifornia!

LoganAndPoky

Ontario
Hi im very very sorry about your tortoise im sure you gave him such a nice life. Im about 30 to 40 minutes away from London, ON and happy to see others near by

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HI from Wales in the UK and welcome to a great forum for up to date information on tort care from very experienced keepers worldwide.
Sorry about your redfoot tort but pleased you have decided to rescue and rehome again - there are too many older torts out there who are in need of a loving home.
Before you decide how many to get bear in mind that they will need to be housed separately to avoid bullying issues. There are plenty of threads and posts about that here as I'm sure you'll find.
Enjoy reading and contributing to the forum, and we'll look forward to getting to know you.