Hello from Los Angeles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

My name is Ben, I am a student in Los Angeles and an getting ready for my first tortoise. I have her/his little house all ready and am looking to make the drive down to Oceanside tomorrow to visit LLL Reptile. I am thinking about getting a baby Greek seeing as they do not get to large and from what I have read are a fun tortoise to have.

If anyone has any beginner tips for me, feel free to shout it out!

Cheers

Ben

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum Ben. Research, research, research. Is my advice. Oh and shredded aspen for you little ones substrate, it is light, easy to see soiled areas and they can burrow in it nicely.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks guys! I will be sure to upload pics right away. Right now I have alfalfa hay, alfalfa pellets and T-rex desert snow. I like the desert snow a lot...its soft hah.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I haven't heard of the desert snow product, but alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets aren't good to use. Too high in protein.

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few Greek keepers here and you will find the CORRECT information for your new baby!

Yvonne

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Eep Alfalda pellets n such are bad? Ughhh good to know, I will post some pics to show u the stuff I have. The desert snow is hard wood pulp. What would be the best bedding for the little bugger?

Not sure how to post pictures...ere we go

TORTOISE HOUSE!

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg
AND FISH!

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Welcome to the forum Ben. Research, research, research. Is my advice. Oh and shredded aspen for you little ones substrate, it is light, easy to see soiled areas and they can burrow in it nicely.

I was told that aspen was not good for tortoises because if they do eat it, it is not good for them, or something along those lines.

I also was kind of leaning away from soil or sand... is that the right choice?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Ben,
I've been using shredded aspen for bedding for almost 20 years and have never had a problem with it. I keep my hatchlings to adults on it.

Danny

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello Ben and welcome to TFO!! For all of torts that I keep inside I use aspen. I also make a small section using bed a beast or eco earth, to make a moist side, or humid hides. Aspen and eco earth are both inexpensive to buy. just don't use pine or cedar not good for the little guy. Alfalfa is bad for the tortoises as it contains to much protein. Good Luck, ask lots of questions, and research your little tort.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the Forum. Read, read, read,.. and ask Lot of questions and do more research. Good luck with your choices. Keep us posted.

Minh

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Congrats on your pending new arrival! Going to school as in college (if so, what are you studying?) or other school?

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok so aspen it is! I will be sure to lose the alfalfa! Yup yup college for me, marine biology research, working my way though Occidental college, three jobs :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ben, Occidental College in Eagle Rock? My brother went there. We use to live on Eagle Rock and York, Small world. My brother went on to become an Anesthesiologist. Marine Biology is a great field. Do you have a specialty in mind of working with?
Yep Aspen was my choice after dealing with dirt, playsand etc and after talking with Danny and a few others. I Love it. It is easy to see messes and clean, they don't seem interested in eating it, at first they mouthed it but spit it out. It is so much lighter in wt than dirt and playsand and my old back can't deal with the wt of carring Dirt around anymore. And they do love to burrow into the shredded Aspen. I will be bring all the adults in this winter and they will all be on Aspen. Well with the exception of a laying box for Echo. She and Ajax are at it again.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So I just brought the little bugger home from Oceanside! He/she was climbing on me the whole way home... kept escaping from his little cup hah. I would post pictures... but he was tired and by the time I came with the camera he was burrowed under a log. He seems to be full of life and very adventurous.

Yup the occidental right in eagle rock! My main field right now is with fish and inverts of SoCal, but my passion is tropic reefs. I am in the process of breeding heat resistant corals.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Also, right now my lighting includes 1x 60w ceramic heater bulb and 1x 26w 10.0 UVB bulb (Repti Sun). Do you think I should get some more supplemental lighting? If so what kind, does anyone use T-5HO bulbs for tortoises?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ben, I know nothing of the T-5HO bulbs you speak of but, I use a MVB 100 watt t-Rex for my hatchlings with a heat emitter on the other side during the winter months. During the summer they get the MVB only. Temps are around 88 F-95F in basking area. Night time temps stay between 66-75 at this time of yr inside so I do not use supplemental heat at night. And they do go outside a minimum of 4 hours now on Sat and Sun.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I see. I was looking at the MVB but 100w seemed like it might be a bit much seeing as I do not have any way of hanging it yet... I will probably replace the ceramic heater with the MVB eventually and just keep the 26w UVB Repti-sun, would that be ok?

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
HIya Ben ~

If you get a new lamp, they usually have a clipping device included so that you can hang the lamp on the edge of the tank, if indeed, it is a tank you are using for the enclosure.

For my lil' leopard, his indoor "bedroom" has some reptile carpet I got at PetCo; the package comes with two, so you can wash one and still have another to replace it with during the washing process. I really like it cuz it's super easy to clean, and saves me money from having to buy bedding on a continual basis... plus there are zero health risks involved too.

Anyways, enjoy your new lil' shelled bud, and welcome to TF ~
Purpod

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
purpod said:
HIya Ben ~

If you get a new lamp, they usually have a clipping device included so that you can hang the lamp on the edge of the tank, if indeed, it is a tank you are using for the enclosure.

For my lil' leopard, his indoor "bedroom" has some reptile carpet I got at PetCo; the package comes with two, so you can wash one and still have another to replace it with during the washing process. I really like it cuz it's super easy to clean, and saves me money from having to buy bedding on a continual basis... plus there are zero health risks involved too.

Anyways, enjoy your new lil' shelled bud, and welcome to TF ~
Purpod

Hellp Purpod

What kind of soap do you use to clean the reptile carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.