Hello from Madison, WI!

theletterh

Hey! :)

My name is H and I live in Madison, WI. I'm 28 years old and a veterinary technician.

Tortoises are my favorite animal and I've wanted one for YEARS. I plan on getting one soon, so here I am to learn everything I can!

I'm interested in Hermann's, Russian, Redfoots and Leopard tortoises. I love all tortoises, but I want one that won't get to be the size of a car, haha!

I was clicking around the site and I'm having a hard time finding care sheets. Are they around? Or can anyone point me in the direction of some? I can Google, but that doesn't always go well.

Thanks!

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Usually
There are care stickys at the top of the species specific area.
You can also find info on food / indoor / outdoor and health topics in the forum area. Depends on what kind you get.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Go Bears:p:D. For some leopard info, read Toms threads below. The sulcata info will apply to a leopard.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello "H "
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437617358.697779.jpg
Please don't be to fast to rule out marginals , Greeks , or pan cakes ! Good Luck with your choises .

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, H!!

You'll find our care sheets shown at the top of the species specific sections. There are some we don't have care sheets for, but if you let us know which ones, we can give you a link to a good one that's not on the forum.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My friend, i am mightily biased as I live in the land they come from and my gorgeous, friendly, clever girl is a Greek, and I think she's wonderful, but make your own decision, others may be wrong.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! !

Good to have you here! !

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Welcome! I'm a little late to this post, but I'm from Madison as well! Greeks are a phenomenal species (I have two myself!), but I'm afraid they are very difficult to find in our area unless you are comfortable with shipping. There is an awesome reptile only pet store in Monona called Reptile Rapture which would be a great starting point for you. Currently I believe they have Russian and Hermann's adults, in addition to Redfoot, Sulcata, and Leopard hatchlings. Those first two species, along with other European species such as Greeks, tend to do the best with our climate and stay relatively small which makes housing indoors in the Winter more feasible.

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
And of course as soon as I write the post about being unable to find Greek tortoises in Madison for two years they get them in stock! Reptile Rapture has some baby Golden Greeks right now, in addition to an even larger selection of other torts, so that would definitely be a good place to look!