Hello from Mama of 9 Desert Tortoise Hatchlings

Bonnie

5 Year Member
We haven't really decided what to do with them long term. I have a large enclosure at the side of my house -- about 5 ft wide by 50 ft long. It is bounded on one side by the house and the other by a 6 - 8 ft retaining wall. I dug out ground near the gates and reinforced it underground with hardware cloth. I have had a tortoise, rabbits, ducks and a friend's dog (NOT at the same time) in there and it is empty at the moment. I think we'll keep them indoors mostly until they are bigger and I feel comfortable with them outside. I'm still busy learning about keeping hatchlings and really nervous about letting them go to someone less conscientious. Control freak much?

Dumb newbie question: What does the 1.0.2 notation mean on this forum?

Thanks!
Bonnie :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
So you would be 0.0.9. (!) : )
Agree about growing them out/up a bit yourself first ... to be sure they are in good hands. Yours. Micromanaging babies is great thing. They are so fragile. When the time comes and you decide to adopt them out, be sure the new hosts would be willing to educate themselves further and often about their care ... by joining this forum. My opinion.
Nine is a good number, energy wise. It is a community, well being number. Humanity, wisdom, responsibility. The greater good. Yay!

Bonnie

5 Year Member
Ah, haha, yes! 0.0.9. I'm still a little bit in awe. I never expected to have that kind of success. I spend entirely too much time fussing over them - my family too. The babies really love their digs right in the lvingroom. I have multiple hides and a couple of shallow water dishes which they plop themselves into for a good soak. Due to work/school schedules there is always at least one of us home - 3 adults and two responsible older kids, so they are quite the pampered little things.

And don't worry. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon. :)