Hello from Michigan!

Karenp

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan/SW Florida
I am so thankful for this forum and for all of the members who take the time to better the lives of torts & turts! I don't own any myself, but my friend in Florida that has a 10" redfoot tortoise and a 6" Florida box turtle. I am so excited because in January I'm finally going to meet these two that I've heard so much about! (I live in Michigan but am officially becoming a snowbird.)

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these amazing creatures so I can help care for them & help provide them with the very best of living conditions. I can't wait to plant some plants, catch some bugs, and introduce them to some new foods.

Thanks to what I've learned on this forum & have passed on to my friend, they are living in a partially shaded outdoor enclosure (64sf) with 16" wooden walls. They have multiple places to hide, including one with heat that is being regulated by a Jump Start thermostat. The temp & humidity is monitored by a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer (in the hide) & an infared temp gun. They have 2 shallow dishes for water (both large enough for them to soak in) and garden tiles to eat of off (which are flush with the ground to prevent scratches). They have a cuttlebone and are fed a diet of dark greens, vegetables, fruit & earthworms.

I have urged my friend to separate them but to no avail. When I get there I can easily divide their pen in two & build another night box.

My biggest problem is getting him into the habit of soaking. They are both still growing & I know how very important this is for the redfoot. (The Florida box turtle spends half her day relaxing in her water dish.)
I'm looking forward soaking the redfoot & I'm sure once my friend sees how easy & rewarding it is, it will become routine.

I am also looking forward to doing a thorough check-up on them & being able to see some of their magnificent features that I have been reading about on this forum.

The Tortoise Forum has been such a helpful resource to me since June, but I still have many questions & so much more to learn.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge & experience!

Karen P :)

Tortoise Check-Up List
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-health/signs-of-a-healthy-tortoise

Karenp

Michigan/SW Florida
Hello and welcome.
Keeping a Redfoot in Florida...Especially south Florida is so simple even I can do it!;)
Elsewhere it's slightly more work.
Thank you! I have read many of your posts & have learned a lot about keeping redfoots in Florida. I also really enjoyed watching your video 'Redfoot Habitat Florida Style'. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you! I have read many of your posts & have learned a lot about keeping redfoots in Florida. I also really enjoyed watching your video 'Redfoot Habitat Florida Style'. :)
Thank you.
I do hope that cheesy video has helped some folks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I thought the video was well done & I'm sure it has helped more people than you'll ever know. That is a real nice compound you have there! Jealous of your sprinklers- that will be another fun thing to add to my friends pen in January!
Thank you.
You need to see @Anyfoot s amazing, large enclosure with caves and ledges.
It's legitimate because he's in the chilly U.K.
It's very well thought out and very well made.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
She's hard to spot. She's dark colored and the size of a large rat. But she's in there. Both videos actually.
I'm using my phone at the moment. Hard for me to see much on it. I'm scheduled for eye surgery on dec 17, so hopefully I can see her then. Lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Karen, and welcome to the Forum!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi Karen welcome from a former Michigander and snow bird. ( Ludington area)