Hello from Mimzy the Russian tort and her 'mommy' Miranda:)

Miranda Rivas

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Greetings! I am new to the forum and just wanted to let everyone meet me and my beloved gal Mimzy :) Mimzy is a female Russian tort that I've had for about... 7 months now, but it feels like so much longer. Her favorite treat is either raspberries, kale, or butternut squash. She is a very sweet playful girl, and i like to think she knows who i am. Her enclosure (until summer) is a larger sized kiddy pool in my room, complete with all lighting and hideouts and a wonderful climb in water dish that she loves to play with. Her pool is located in my room next to my bed, and every morning ill wake up to her staring at me, probably waiting for her food! :) shes a kick in the pants and I'm so glad i got her. I myself, am 17 in Oregon. I've never owned a tort before so I'm hoping i take care of her correctly.. if anyone could, is there any vegetables and fruits tortoises should eat? She loves kale but i know that isn't enough, and shes always hungry, and trust me she gets plenty of food. Anyways. We say hello and hope everyone has a great day/night!

(Also please don't be mean about the blue tortoise cozy shes wearing in the photo, it is for picture moments and she doesn't wear it for more than 5 minutes at a time...thank you)IMG_20150113_115600.jpg

Miranda Rivas

Oregon

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Love the cozy did u make it? Mimzy is beautiful and Russians are awesome :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Glad you found us.

Your tortoise looks exceedingly dry. Most care sheets, books and pet shops recommend keeping them far to dry.

Please read that care sheet above, and these too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

A few changes to your care routine can make a big difference. The kiddie pool sounds great, but those are often very dry in a heated or air conditioned home. Damp substrate and a humid hide can make a huge difference. Daily soaks when they are little also keep them hydrated.

Also, skip the fruit. It is too high in sugar. Its not "good" for them. Tortoises don't need "treats". They need a good high fiber healthy diet. There are lots of good food ideas in those threads that are good for them. For treats you can offer the occasional flower from one of the safe to eat varieties like hibiscus, squash, gazania, rose or dandelion.

Miranda Rivas

Oregon
QUOT you E="T for theom, post: 1024394, member: 3441"]Hello and welcome. Glad you found us.

Your tortoise looks exceedingly dry. Most care sheets, books and pet shops recommend keeping them far to dry.

Please read that care sheet above, and these too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

A few changes to your care routine can make a big difference. The kiddie pool sounds great, but those are often very dry in a heated or air conditioned home. Damp substrate and a humid hide can make a huge difference. Daily soaks when they are little also keep them hydrated.

Also, skip the fruit. It is too high in sugar. Its not "good" for them. Tortoises don't need "treats". They need a good high fiber healthy diet. There are lots of good food ideas in those threads that are good for them. For treats you can offer the occasional flower from one of the safe to eat varieties like hibiscus, squash, gazania, rose or dandelion.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the information! The picture doesn't do her much justice, i did edit it so her skin looks more dry than normal. We do soak her daily, and she gets in her water dish every now and then and just kind of hangs out until shes had enough of being wet. Thank You again for the information. I am going shopping today, because i finally got paid, so I'm going to be getting way better highly recommended bedding, and more food with the new information. :)