Hello from Monterrey, New member

Alfonso E

Location (City and/or State)
Monterrey, Mexico
Hi everyone,

I'm Alfonso and I live in Monterrey, Mexico. A nice city and with a good climate for my three Texas tortoises. One of them is a male and I have him since four years ago and I'm not sure of his age because I'm the third owner but he is at least 15 years old and he loves nopales. Then I recently got two Texas tortoises, and now they are like two months old, but I have no idea of their gender because they are very small, if you guys could help me with that would be very helpful. The big male is in my backyard but I have the little ones in a box inside, because I am not sure if is it okay to leave them outside, maybe a cat or even an eagle could take them, who knows, I don't now a lot about that haha. But well, this is a great forum, I just discovered it and seems very useful. Thanks a lot !

And sorry for my writing mistakes, I'm still working on my english :p

Best regards from Monterrey,
Alfonso

12079634_10153249880665677_7213985325286802297_n.jpg tortugas1.jpg tortuga2.PNG tortuga3.PNG

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Alfonso and a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

If you have enough space, I'd rather you kept your torts inside. This would keep them away from other animals (as you said), and would not make you worry any longer.;)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome to the forum. Good to have you here. You are correct, I love your city but in the winter still pretty cold, I was there once in the winter is that I vividly remember how cold Momterrey can be.

Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Alfonso!

I would wait for the babies to be almost full grown before putting them in with the existing male. And, since the males fight, if your babies turn out to be male, you probably won't ever be able to put them together.

You can't tell the gender of tortoises until they reach sexual maturity. At baby stage, they all look female.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Alfonso, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum!!!
Read, learn, contribute, ask questions and have fun!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Alfonso and welcome, this is a great place to learn all about torts and chat with keepers worldwide.
If you can follow all advice as closely as possible then you will have happy healthy torts for a very long time!
Looking forward to seeing some pics!