Hello from my new tort Eddy

16rash

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
Hi All,

i am a first time tortoise owner. got a 5 year old tortoise ,he is Mediterranean tortoise but not sure if Russian or Hermann. I checked with petsmart (where i got him) but they were not sure. they told me he is 5 yrs old but i really doubt that .
After taking him home, i looked up internet for the characteristics and i think he is a hermann. Please help me in identifying his breed and age so that i can change the habitat requirement.

any input is highly appreciated. find attached pics of Eddy.

thumb_IMG_3375_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3378_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_3381_1024.jpg

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Eddy is an adorable Hermann. Impossible to determine a torts age; they vary a lot in size.

Maya

Hi! And welcome to the forum!! I'm also new here. And i'm new in the tortoise's world as well. My tort Leo looks similar to your tortoise but i'm really not sure what species they belong to.. perhaps Hermann. And I can't tell his age as well. It's hard and the guy my dad bought him from, had no clue.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I see some trouble spots in your enclosure that might cause you heartache. The climbing ramps are too steep. He could fall over on his back and not be able to right himself. Also, the side of the habitat, once he's up on the house, is too short. He could easily climb out.

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks Yvonne. He fell over on his back few times while climbing up but was able to flip over on his own so i thought that should be okay .But as you said if that would cause problem to Eddy, i will definitely do something about it. i am planning to get him a big table ,may be in a week.so i will keep the table height in consideration. Thanks again for your feedback.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Good thing he knows how to flip back. How long does it take to flip back?