Hello from new tortoise mom in Calgary

KimJ

Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta
Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself as a new adoptive tortoise mom to Donatella. She is a 3 year old Western Hermann's tortoise and I have so much to learn so am hoping to do some of that here! Currently Donatella lives in a 3' x 1.5' home that she came in however my friends have just built her a 4' x 2' bi-level condo. My most immediate concern is how best to transfer her to her new habitat once I have it ready for move in? Thanks in advance!

82153565_10222027571503811_8232183036221849600_n.jpg82600326_10222027572263830_4386181891582066688_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Donatella.
I don't know if there's a preferred way to move homes but I would just make sure the temps are right and there is some vegetation (free from fertilisers, insecticides etc) in there for her to hide in for security.
Have you found the hermanns caresheet in the species section yet? That will tell you all about temps humidity, diet and substrate etc and if you can post pics of your new enclosure members can advise on any changes you may need to make to ensure it will be a safe and happy home for her.

KimJ

Calgary, Alberta
Hi and welcome to you and Donatella.
I don't know if there's a preferred way to move homes but I would just make sure the temps are right and there is some vegetation (free from fertilisers, insecticides etc) in there for her to hide in for security.
Have you found the hermanns caresheet in the species section yet? That will tell you all about temps humidity, diet and substrate etc and if you can post pics of your new enclosure members can advise on any changes you may need to make to ensure it will be a safe and happy home for her.
Yes I found and printed and read that care sheet, thank you! Pix of new home construction and then beginning set up.
Thank you for any thoughts/ideas to make it better for her.
Kim

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9830.JPG
    IMG_9830.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9831.JPG
    IMG_9831.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 5

KronksMom

Illinois
What an awesome new home for Donatella! I don't know if there's a better way, but when we changed homes for my guy, Kronk, we just got the new house all ready (lighting, substrate, temps right, water and food in there) then put him in. He was NOT into it. He went and burrowed down in his bedroom for a while. For the first 2 or 3 weeks he really had no interest in anything beyond minimal eating, occasional drinking, then going back to bed. After the first few weeks he seemed to settle in and realize "ok, so this is ALL MINE?!" Now he covers every square inch of the space daily, including some parts of the walls. So don't panic if Donatella's behavior changes at first. They just don't take too kindly to changes.

KronksMom

Illinois
Oh, and welcome! And Donatella herself is also quite beautiful! I love that coloring on her shell :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, Kim, when you said it was bi level I thought you meant 2 storey both 4x2 and as nice as the new home is and an improvement on what she was in, is I think you will soon find she will need even more space (4 x 8 is the recommended minimum for young adults of the smaller species). The sides of the top layer are also too low - torts are great climbers and she will soon be over the top of those when she settles in, and if the dog finds her first he could mistake her for a chew toy or get scared and attack her (it has happened to some poor torts by long trusted pooches) So maybe try to add an overhanging lip around the inside of the sides.

KimJ

Calgary, Alberta
Hi, Kim, when you said it was bi level I thought you meant 2 storey both 4x2 and as nice as the new home is and an improvement on what she was in, is I think you will soon find she will need even more space (4 x 8 is the recommended minimum for young adults of the smaller species). The sides of the top layer are also too low - torts are great climbers and she will soon be over the top of those when she settles in, and if the dog finds her first he could mistake her for a chew toy or get scared and attack her (it has happened to some poor torts by long trusted pooches) So maybe try to add an overhanging lip around the inside of the sides.
Thank you for the suggestions. Yes it is partially bi level so 2 x 2 upstairs and 2 x 4 downstairs. We are going to build the sides up as well as a lip around the inside of the sides :)