Hello from newbie in Illinois

Wenzer

Location (City and/or State)
JACKSONVILLE, IL
Hello all, I've recently taken on a russian tortoise and two box turtles on very short notice... i have general reptile husbandry experience but this is my first time with tortoises and land turtles!

They came to me in a 75 gallon aquarium (which was very, very smelly) and a regular heat lamp. I've been working on their setups (individually) so they can at the least be separated to start out. The enclosures are indoors and I am hashing out plans for outdoor spaces for them. I don't believe they will be able to live outside year-round as our winters in Illinois can get very cold, but I want to get them outside as much as possible.

At the moment, the box turtles (one is eastern, one is 3-toed, I'm told) each have a 50 gallon solid-color storage tub for their enclosures, measuring 40" L x 22" W x 18" H. I have two of these 50 gallon tubs put together with one side cut out of each to make an enclosure measuring 40" L x 44" W x 18" H for the russian tortoise. I know these are not sufficient in size permanently but I wanted to get them separated quickly.

I was told the box turtles are very old, probably wild caught locally but have been captive a long time. All three were kept together in the 75 gallon aquarium as pets for a school classroom... apparently the teacher wanted to get rid of them since Covid has shut down our schools for the year in my area and she didn't want to take them home.

I'm going to make a couple of threads in the different species subgroups regarding these guys in order to get a better idea on some questions I have regarding their care :)

I attached a couple of pictures which were taken when they were still housed together on the first night they were here, though I didn't have the tubs set up until the next day. But assure you they are separated now! I just find these two pictures pretty cute lol.

20200613_174105.jpg20200613_153333.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

If those box turtle species are native to your area, I see no reason not to make them an outdoor area. They can brumate when it turns cold. The Russian also brumates, but he'll need to be boxed up and brought indoors to brumate.

KronksMom

Illinois
Welcome! Illinois winters definitely make things harder, but it's well worth it to have these wonderful animals in your life :)

KBeam

Central Illinois
I have an ornate box turtle and a Herman’s tortoise here in Illinois. The box turtle hibernates early Nov-late Mar. Two quick things: if you need a vet the Wildlife Vet Clinic at the U of I is very good. If your box turtle is an ornate it requires a state endangered species permit, it’s free and you can apply for it online on the DNR Website.
E1016CDA-2D60-4ADE-B854-3E74CCC607CE.jpeg

KBeam

Central Illinois
Hello all, I've recently taken on a russian tortoise and two box turtles on very short notice... i have general reptile husbandry experience but this is my first time with tortoises and land turtles!

They came to me in a 75 gallon aquarium (which was very, very smelly) and a regular heat lamp. I've been working on their setups (individually) so they can at the least be separated to start out. The enclosures are indoors and I am hashing out plans for outdoor spaces for them. I don't believe they will be able to live outside year-round as our winters in Illinois can get very cold, but I want to get them outside as much as possible.

At the moment, the box turtles (one is eastern, one is 3-toed, I'm told) each have a 50 gallon solid-color storage tub for their enclosures, measuring 40" L x 22" W x 18" H. I have two of these 50 gallon tubs put together with one side cut out of each to make an enclosure measuring 40" L x 44" W x 18" H for the russian tortoise. I know these are not sufficient in size permanently but I wanted to get them separated quickly.

I was told the box turtles are very old, probably wild caught locally but have been captive a long time. All three were kept together in the 75 gallon aquarium as pets for a school classroom... apparently the teacher wanted to get rid of them since Covid has shut down our schools for the year in my area and she didn't want to take them home.

I'm going to make a couple of threads in the different species subgroups regarding these guys in order to get a better idea on some questions I have regarding their care :)

I attached a couple of pictures which were taken when they were still housed together on the first night they were here, though I didn't have the tubs set up until the next day. But assure you they are separated now! I just find these two pictures pretty cute lol.

View attachment 297414View attachment 297415
Sorry, I just saw you identified the boxies species.

KBeam

Central Illinois
Here’s some good starter guides..

Attachments

• C912B84E-B911-4488-89A5-BCE4BDC521D0.jpeg
    C912B84E-B911-4488-89A5-BCE4BDC521D0.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 45B04B06-8FF2-46F4-B06A-16312E7E48F9.jpeg
    45B04B06-8FF2-46F4-B06A-16312E7E48F9.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 3

Wenzer

JACKSONVILLE, IL
I have an ornate box turtle and a Herman’s tortoise here in Illinois. The box turtle hibernates early Nov-late Mar. Two quick things: if you need a vet the Wildlife Vet Clinic at the U of I is very good. If your box turtle is an ornate it requires a state endangered species permit, it’s free and you can apply for it online on the DNR Website.
View attachment 297590
Thank you! Your box turtle is very lovely! Yeah, I was told they may be eastern and 3-toed, though I can't be certain with my own guesses ? I've been busy the last few days and haven't had the chance to get better pictures of them individually, plus their shells are still quite dirty/stained so it's hard to see any markings if they have them.

Very proud of them all though; they all have pretty good appetites, and the little RT girl is really funny to watch, she has a lot of personality. The box turtles do as well! They are more voracious and speedy though ? the supposed eastern box turtle is a lot more slowed down compared to the 3-toed... the latter was VERY quick to attack the earthworms today, but the eastern girl took some time to get things done. However, the Eastern girl has also been wanting to bury herself all day and night since she came here... so she may just need more adjustment time? Hopefully this meal encourages her to bask some more and she might wake up :)

Wenzer

JACKSONVILLE, IL
Always nice to see tortoise keepers so close. We're few and far between around here.
It really is great! Especially being new to these guys, it's going to be very helpful to pick your brains about our specific climate when researching their care :)

Wenzer

JACKSONVILLE, IL
Hi, and welcome!

If those box turtle species are native to your area, I see no reason not to make them an outdoor area. They can brumate when it turns cold. The Russian also brumates, but he'll need to be boxed up and brought indoors to brumate.

Ah thank you! See, I initially joined some Facebook groups to get some information the first day they came home, and they insisted it was unsafe for me to brumate my box turtles in my climate... but eastern box turtles are one of the two native species here, so I was skeptical... through skimming these forums, it seems the advice from these Facebook groups may be taken with a grain of salt... so I'm glad I have this forum as well to verify husbandry and care ?