Hello from North West England!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
How would you ensure that the temperature in the basking spot didn't exceed the 30-32 degrees without a thermostat on the mob bulb?

Thanks
You would adjust the height of the bulb above the table. You should be able to get 4 temp readings - warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum - check the care sheet for what they should be for Russians. I have a large leopard who lives in his own room so can't really advise on your temps for your circumstances. However I would advise you get temp gun (Amazon £7ish) as these are better at spot checking temperatures than fixed thermometers.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
m1277.gif
Sorry they sold you a bunch of wrong equipment, but don't worry these folks will get you set up right ! :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What's the difference between normal compost and finished compost?
Thanks
If you buy it, it's already finished. If you make it, it goes through many stages of decomposition. Finished compost is the end stage, nutrient rich and soft. Unfinished compost is chunky, may have leaf bits & twigs. More like mulch. Unfinished compost is good to top dress garden beds and fine as part of an outdoor habitat substrate. It holds water differently.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome!

Raising a baby.

The sticky’s at the top of species specific areas have the latest “best care” practices to raise a healthy, thriving tortoise. It is always a good idea to read them. May people are a bit surprised at the conflicts between what they are sold and told at a pet store, or from a breeder, and what is recommended and learned here on the forum. There is much conflicting information on Facebook groups and other sites and it is easy to think that determining what is best for your tortoise is almost impossible, or accepting something you read out of a book or pamphlet as fact because it has been published. But I have to say, quite often by the time a book is published it is way outdated.

I say this, not because I am a member of this forum, but because I have done my research, and raised many tortoises – as I continue to do, and have heard (and practiced) over the years all the outdated damaging information that just leads to sick pets, pyramided shells, and dead babies.

There is a definite problem with shell growth in open top tables, terrariums, etc, indoors. No amount of lamps, hides, water dishes or misting will keep the shell of a growing tortoise hydrated under heat and UV lamps. The lamps dry out the shell, as well as the overall hydration of the tortoise, in very uneven ways and create an unhealthy biology for keratin growth.

The answer to this has been closed chambers (a lid) with a warm over all environment of 80f and 80% humidity.

If a tortoise is kept in an open top enclosure, indoors, with average household humidity (usually between 20-50%) he is dehydrating regularly. Without a closed chamber, you can mitigate this by the application of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (EVCO) to the shell on a regular basis. You can get this at a health food store, and in some supermarkets.

See the thread at

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/coconut-oil.103782/

You can read through this information and make up your own mind. The “jury” is still out, but it is looking to me like this helps, and does not hurt.

Good fortune with your tort !

Reaney24

Ok I have just started to do the changes on my table.... I have now replaced the pellets with compost mixed with coco coir (about 80-20 compost) and will be ordering the new light/lights tomorrow

Reaney24

Hi everyone sorry about the delay just got my 2 new lights...... I was just wondering if someone who had the Arcadia d3 mini could tell me roughly how high above the substrate to have the bulb to give the correct temperature?

The bulb is the 80 watt one
Thanks

lucyandjoe

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438882458.358563.jpg

Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum, and tortoise keeping for that matter. I have been reading this thread for guidance and noticed that someone said coiled bulbs were a no no. Is the one pictured above ok ? I bought this online and was david it would be ok but now I'm panicking!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438882647.096615.jpg
I've also added a pic of my hermann tortoise - he is called Rodney

By the way I'm from the north of England too

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
View attachment 142292

Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum, and tortoise keeping for that matter. I have been reading this thread for guidance and noticed that someone said coiled bulbs were a no no. Is the one pictured above ok ? I bought this online and was david it would be ok but now I'm panicking!

View attachment 142293
I've also added a pic of my hermann tortoise - he is called Rodney

By the way I'm from the north of England too
No sorry that is one of the bulbs that can cause eye damage, blindness and even death. Any coil or loop type bulbs are bad.
Pleased to meet you and Rodney though.
There is a great caresheet for Hermanns
If you start your own intro thread more people will see it and reply.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi everyone sorry about the delay just got my 2 new lights...... I was just wondering if someone who had the Arcadia d3 mini could tell me roughly how high above the substrate to have the bulb to give the correct temperature?

The bulb is the 80 watt one
Thanks
Hi the advice I was given was that it should be about 10" above the tort's carapace, but keep an eye on it. If you have a temp gun you spot check the top of his shell and the other temps you need. My is tort is bigger and finds his own comfy spot though.

Reaney24

Hi the advice I was given was that it should be about 10" above the tort's carapace, but keep an eye on it. If you have a temp gun you spot check the top of his shell and the other temps you need. My is tort is bigger and finds his own comfy spot though.

Yeah I think it seems to be ok now... But I have ordered one of those temp guns on eBay as well just waiting for that to arrive. It my setup now ok for the tortoise would you think?

Thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How do I start a new thread?
Click on introductions
Then once in you should see a green box top right that says "Start New Thread".
Click on this.
Then enter your title "HI FROM MARS", or whatever
An then type your name, add photos, etc. underneath.
When finished clic on "Create New Thread"( i think it says that.)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Picture of the re-done set up:View attachment 142297
I would use a wide dome/shade with the bulbs to reflect the heat down. Because heat rises you are going to use a lot without shades. £25ish in Range and Pets at Home. It will also protect the bulb as they are very delicate and when hot will blow if knocked.(Deep domes could make the bulb/che overheat and burnout)
Also you could do with partially covering the top of the table to maintain humidity (not under the lamps though!) Have a look at the Enclosures section for lots of Ideas and refer to the caresheet for your tort to get temp and humidity levels.