Hello from NY

KevtK

Location (City and/or State)
NY
New member from NYC. I have a trio of Redfoot tortoises - two are 2 years old and 1 is a year.
They have a safe summer residence in the yard and then gave a 60 gal. (?) Rubbermaid stockade tank on my indoor porch for the winters.
Hope to learn a lot here and I’m sure somewhere along the way I’ll have a dumb question or two. :)

Kev K

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome
Sadely I doubt the 60 gallon is big enough for the 3 of them. If they can't roam enough they soon will not be able to walk correctly.
Please read our caresheet as I believe your little ones not only needs high humidity but should be in a closed chamber with small stints outside.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
New member from NYC. I have a trio of Redfoot tortoises - two are 2 years old and 1 is a year.
They have a safe summer residence in the yard and then gave a 60 gal. (?) Rubbermaid stockade tank on my indoor porch for the winters.
Hope to learn a lot here and I’m sure somewhere along the way I’ll have a dumb question or two. :)

Kev K
Hi Kev,

It's great that you can get them outside sometimes in the summer, but I agree that you'll need to find a way to get them some more space for an inside enclosure for the winters.

TFO is home to some very knowledgable people and some great content about tortoises:

Welcome and keep asking questions!

Jamie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the tortoise forum!

KevtK

NY
Thanks for the welcome. I may have gotten the "gallon-age" wrong. It's 3ft. wide and 5 ft long, and at their size, they can walk around freely (gotta take a pic). But yes, I will definitely dig into the care sheets and link provided.
Thanks again for the welcome.

KevtK

NY
Took an image today. And yes, the tub is 3’X5’. They love Mulberry leaves, but you can see on munching. The other is behind the pile, and a third one likes to climb in or on his food.
I have it as bio-active as possible with springtails, isopods. Keeping it planted is tough as they go thru it pretty quickly - and I only plant stuff from the approved list. In the back is Timothy hay, they like digging under it.
Here it is. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• F9F660BD-06BD-4DC6-B7B5-50C8C3B432DC.jpeg
    F9F660BD-06BD-4DC6-B7B5-50C8C3B432DC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2