Hello from OH!

corvasaurus

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi folks!

I'm very interested in getting a tortoise, but I'm not sure what would be best for the region I live in (northern Ohio, by the lake). I'm going to build a custom tortoise table, but I want to build it based upon the specific tortoise's needs (I understand that may be different within subspecies). Does anyone have any advice which breed to invest in, based upon region?

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Hello and welcome!

I would suggest starting here to give you an overview: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/. Towards the end of the thread are links to care sheets for temperate species and tropical species of tortoise which should help you narrow your choice.

Kudos to you for taking the time to really consider the species that would suit your climate best. Have you thought about space requirements too? I say this as many people find it hard to resist taking home a baby sulcata tortoise, for example, but quickly realise they have made an unwise choice due to the amount of outdoor space the tortoise needs.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. If you plan on getting a hatchling, them you will want to build a closed chamber, not a table. They all need to start has hatchlings with a closed humid chamber enclosure. As adults they can live in a table or better, outside at least when it's warm.
Any of the Mediterranean species would be good to start with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

Here's a good thread for you to read prior to getting the tortoise:

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Although people do it, I wouldn't get a tortoise so large that you couldn't bring it indoors during the winter. Although the lake effect is generally attributed to the.counties bordering lake Erie, the effects can be seen/felt just north of Dayton and criss-crossing the state. The foothills of Ohio near the West Virginia border experience some harsh winters as well. Safer areas for larger outdoor torts include the souther tip of the state (Ironton area) and SW ow the state Dayton thru Cincinnati).

corvasaurus

Ohio
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Hello and welcome!

I would suggest starting here to give you an overview: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/. Towards the end of the thread are links to care sheets for temperate species and tropical species of tortoise which should help you narrow your choice.

Kudos to you for taking the time to really consider the species that would suit your climate best. Have you thought about space requirements too? I say this as many people find it hard to resist taking home a baby sulcata tortoise, for example, but quickly realise they have made an unwise choice due to the amount of outdoor space the tortoise needs.

Thank you for the extra resources, I greatly appreciate it!
As for space, I definitely don't want anything big, I plan on mostly only housing inside for the first few years. It will absolutely need to be a smaller species of tort.

Hello and Welcome. If you plan on getting a hatchling, them you will want to build a closed chamber, not a table. They all need to start has hatchlings with a closed humid chamber enclosure. As adults they can live in a table or better, outside at least when it's warm.
Any of the Mediterranean species would be good to start with.
I haven't decided fully what age range I want to go with. Though a closed chamber may be the way to go just in case. Can adults of smaller species stay in a closed chamber for life? I was thinking of making a huge terrarium, even if it needs to be the size of a ping pong table, indoor space isn't an issue.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Thank you for the extra resources, I greatly appreciate it!
As for space, I definitely don't want anything big, I plan on mostly only housing inside for the first few years. It will absolutely need to be a smaller species of tort.

I haven't decided fully what age range I want to go with. Though a closed chamber may be the way to go just in case. Can adults of smaller species stay in a closed chamber for life? I was thinking of making a huge terrarium, even if it needs to be the size of a ping pong table, indoor space isn't an issue.
The minimum for the Russian is a 4x8 foot. Pancakes and I believe one of the Star species can also go into a 4x8. The rest will need a room size enclosure. It's best though if they can get outside for the warm months if possible. If you have no outdoor space, then yes, a huge indoor space will work. If that's your situation, then I would highly suggest a Russian, Hermann's, Greek or the Star and Pancake.

corvasaurus

Ohio
It sure has been a minute since I've been on here! Life has been crazy for us.

If that's your situation, then I would highly suggest a Russian, Hermann's, Greek or the Star and Pancake.

Between these, I like the Star or Pancake. I'm leaning towards Star tortoises as I don't know much about Pancakes. Is the care generally the same for both of these?

We have a small yard outside, however, we're renting and we're unable to do anything to it. For the summer months, I was thinking of an enclosure similar to the one in Tom's post; something we can pick up and move out of the yard. What temps are okay to leave the tort outside, and which temps should the tort stay inside? Should I always offer a heated box just in case?

As for food, I'd love to grow our own, again we can't do anything to the yard so I would have to grow them in pots. What plants are recommended, and are easy to take care of, for food sources? I was thinking the broadleaf and dry-climate mixes from here for starters. Thoughts?

ALL tortoises need high humidity, correct? If I have a Star (or Pancake), 80% humidity minimum is still accurate? What are thoughts for a device like this one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It sure has been a minute since I've been on here! Life has been crazy for us.

Between these, I like the Star or Pancake. I'm leaning towards Star tortoises as I don't know much about Pancakes. Is the care generally the same for both of these?

We have a small yard outside, however, we're renting and we're unable to do anything to it. For the summer months, I was thinking of an enclosure similar to the one in Tom's post; something we can pick up and move out of the yard. What temps are okay to leave the tort outside, and which temps should the tort stay inside? Should I always offer a heated box just in case?

As for food, I'd love to grow our own, again we can't do anything to the yard so I would have to grow them in pots. What plants are recommended, and are easy to take care of, for food sources? I was thinking the broadleaf and dry-climate mixes from here for starters. Thoughts?

ALL tortoises need high humidity, correct? If I have a Star (or Pancake), 80% humidity minimum is still accurate? What are thoughts for a device like this one?
Indian stars and pancakes tend to be more shy, but both are still great species to work with. Burmese stars are pretty, stay a manageable size, are very hardy and easy to feed. Check this one out:

Generally, if it is 75 degrees or warmer, sunny, and not all wet from rain, then its safe to put little ones out for some sunshine and exercise. Babies don't need much outside time though, and you won't need a heated shelter until the baby is large enough to be staying outside all day.

Foods will depend on which species you end up with. Some are grass eaters and some aren't. For babies, a wide assortment of broadleaf weeds are best. You can grow 100s of different food items for them. Grow things that you like and use some for the tortoise, like cilantro, Italian dandelion, squash, cucumbers etc... Many plants have edible leaves too like all the squashes, cucumbers, pumpkins, and any kind of green bean or peas. There is no limit. Try different things. Get some African hibiscus seeds. They will thrive in the hot summer months and die off each year when it gets cold.

You will not need humidifiers or misters in a closed chamber enclosure. Humidifiers should not be blowing directly into tortoise enclosures.