Hello from Quebec Canada!

MickeyMouse

Location (City and/or State)
L'Assomption, Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone!
I'm a new member on this forum but also a new tortoise owner, and I think I found here the best forum to learn and share about these wonderful animals :)

My name is Simon, I live in Canada, near Montreal in the Quebec province. If my english seems strange sometimes, please remember my first language is french ;)
I always wanted to have a tortoise someday, a nice animal that could live very long, maybe all my life. But my first passions are photography, fish keeping (reef and now also koi keeping), and Disney. I'm also a proud father of two kids, daughter is 6 and son is 3. My daughter has always loved turtles since she's a baby, so I decided I would go with this dream when she would be old enough.

So this winter I felt in a new passion, tortoise keeping :)
I've read a lot before choosing the right tortoise, I wanted to find a good tortoise for what I was looking for and also an easy tortoise to keep where I live. I also looked around to see what kind of tortoise I could buy from a good breeder.
My choice stopped on a wonderful greek tortoise, a perfect choice for me, because of its longevity, size (not too big), ease of care, humidity and temperature range, and fully herbivore.
My kids really love our new family member, and the tortoise seems very happy here, she thrives really well.

Our tortoise is a female testudo graeca marokkensis, named Elsa (remember, I have a 6 years old daughter). She was born on august 23rd 2017 at a good breeder here, and we got it on january 21st 2018.
I always try to give here the best care, enclosure and food as I can, and she is doing really well and adapted to her new home very quickly.
I offer the best conditions as I can, always considering I live in Canada, where the climate is really different from where the tortoise originate.
She currently live in a large plastic enclosure, she has more than enough space for a small tortoise, and it's easier to keep some humidity as she is young. I am also currently building a wooden enclosure which will be larger, but also modular, to be able to keep the enclosure inside and outside as I want (depending on the temperature), and be able to connect it to a second box to make the enclosure larger when kept outside. I also have a wooden side that I can remove to put a plexiglass so the kids will be able to see the tortoise from the side when kept indoor.
As it is winter, don't ask me if I collect dandelion, weeds and flowers, winter in Canada means a lot of snow, so I will look at these in the summer ;)
At the moment I always look for different greens, rich in fiber, and I offer also a large variety, and I also give some mazuri. I also supplement a bit with calcium and D3.
Of course the tortoise have a heat lamp at the heat spot, a small ceramic heater at night and also a UVB lamp during the day.

We are very happy with our new family member, she is very curious, sociable, and hope she will share our lives for long :)

IMG_0172 by MickeyMouse07

20180125_180408 by MickeyMouse07

20180123_100840 by MickeyMouse07