Hello from San Diego!

AshleyRN

Hi! My name is Ashley. I am a first time owner of a baby sulcata named Apollo Creed. We live in San Diego, CA.

I did my research and knew what I was getting into beforehand I picked the little guy up. This forum has been such great help! I'm really glad I found it in my search. I do still have some questions and I hope you guys can help out.

Should I wet or mist the substrate? What plants can put in the tank? How often and how much do you feed a baby sulcata? I have mazuri pellets and calcium to sprinkle on top. I have been feeding him a mix of kale, spring mix lettuce, radicchio and wheatgrass. Can I feed him vegetables like carrots and cucumbers?

We have terra-cotta saucers for the water and food. I soak him daily. He has both a heat lamp and UVB lamp. There is a hollowed out log for him to hide in and a flat rock for him to bask on. Currently he is in a 20 gallon tank with plans to move him. My boyfriend is the process of building an indoor enclosure for him.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480651839.523088.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Feed twice daily while still little and a handful about the size of him of as wide a variety as possible. If he eats it all give a little more. I feed my now year old leopard twice since she was hatched last November. When they get around two or so, I feed once a day. Check out the closed chamber thread written by member Tom. I soak the substrate with warm water and also have a couple containers filled with warm water and placed under heat emitters. Be sure temps don't drop below 80.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum, Ashley. The substrate be wet on the bottom and damp at the surface. I used coconut coir and could pour water in as needed to keep the humidity level high. A fine grade orchid bark over coir makes a good substrate for a baby. DO NOT FEED VEGGIES. Personally, I would not feed Mazuri until you have an established feeding pattern with greens, weeds, and grass. Growing plants in the enclosure is a tricky thing. The baby will trample more than he eats and the lights are not the best for growing plants. Some keepers grow plants in flats and exchange them for flats from the enclosure.

Be sure to get a thermostat, if you don't have one. Controlling the heat at night is important for babies. Don't let it drop below 80°F.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Ashley, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Apollo Creed.:)
I find that misting doesn't cut it, so mixing water in by hand is better.
I use spider plants in my enclosure.
Put food in the enclosure in the morning.
If it's all gone by night time, it wasn't enough, so put more in next time.
carrots and cucumbers are high in sugar and should be fed sparingly, as treats, if at all.
Look at http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp for a good idea what's recommended.
And http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
is useful too, the ones in bold are the best.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Ashley!

AshleyRN

Thank you everyone for your replies and links to other forums. I will definitely check them out.

I do have a thermostat in the tank. It is a moveable thermostat so that I can check the temperature around the tank and on top of his shell too.

Is a cuttlebone necessary or are the calcium sprinkle sufficient?

BILBO-03

Thank you everyone for your replies and links to other forums. I will definitely check them out.

I do have a thermostat in the tank. It is a moveable thermostat so that I can check the temperature around the tank and on top of his shell too.

Is a cuttlebone necessary or are the calcium sprinkle sufficient?
Hi and Welcome!:) I would leave the cuttlebone in and sprinkle calcium on the food.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Welcome! Congratulations on your little one! We have a new baby as well! Do you happen to have a CHE for nights to keep his tank warm? I try to keep my substrate moist throughout, it keeps the humidity consistent and I only have to mist it once or twice a day. You've definitely come to the right place, these folks have been a huge blessing to us!