Hello from SC-total newb

bookish19

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hi all! Aside from 30yrs ago when my family rehabbed an injured Gopher tort in FL, I don’t have tort experience. We’re dog & horse people, even though I adore turtles & torts. ;)
Anywho-found a baby box turtle in our garage this afternoon. Little dude seemed a bit listless and dry, so we fixed up a bin w/topsoil, Moss, Tupperware lid for holding water, upside down plant cup cut to make a temporary hide, and young pill bugs & young earthworms. Our yard is pesticide free, & we live in the country on a hill, so no road runoff, in South Carolina. Anything else I should do, right away? I just want to make sure this little one has a chance before we release him, or bring him to a wildlife rescue if not doing well. Eyes now seem bright & clear, legs are strong (unlike earlier). First pic was when we found him. In the bin pics, he seems to be doing better, exploring & such. Any advice is welcome, but please be kind :) Thank you in advance!

7E8EECCE-8AB7-4B95-8ED3-D19B03A80486.jpeg E208E3FC-3F1F-4652-8F63-DCE3E430F74F.jpeg E43725E7-161A-49E9-852C-D6B6E2246FC6.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've made a nice little enclosure for him. Keep it moist and cover the top to keep in the humidity. Soak him in a bowl of shallow water for about 15 minutes daily.

bookish19

South Carolina
Right-He should be able to keep his head out of the water-so maybe mid-shell height, or a little more shallow than that? I read that the water dish should barely reach the bottom of the shell...not sure about soaking, but I’ll keep reading!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello.
I grew up in York county.
Rock Hill.
They make great pets. But it's a native turtle and would be best left alone outdoors.
I used to find them in the woods pretty often. Usually near a creek.
Google and check to make sure that you aren't breaking any local or state laws regarding keeping local, native species.
Best of luck to you both.

bookish19

South Carolina
Hello.
I grew up in York county.
Rock Hill.
They make great pets. But it's a native turtle and would be best left alone outdoors.
I used to find them in the woods pretty often. Usually near a creek.
Google and check to make sure that you aren't breaking any local or state laws regarding keeping local, native species.
Best of luck to you both.
Thank you! First thing I did after scanning the forum was checking the local laws. It’s legal to keep them, even from the wild, but this little one will be released as long as he’s doing well in a few days. I was mainly concerned bc he seemed both lethargic & dehydrated, and there’s no telling how long he’d been in the garage. Fingers crossed he’ll continue to perk up!

bookish19

South Carolina
Thank you! First thing I did after scanning the forum was checking the local laws. It’s legal to keep them, even from the wild, but this little one will be released as long as he’s doing well in a few days. I was mainly concerned bc he seemed both lethargic & dehydrated, and there’s no telling how long he’d been in the garage. Fingers crossed he’ll continue to perk up!
Oh-and we are in the woods, near a creek, so we do see them often. Just hadn’t had one trapped in the garage before.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Right-He should be able to keep his head out of the water-so maybe mid-shell height, or a little more shallow than that? I read that the water dish should barely reach the bottom of the shell...not sure about soaking, but I’ll keep reading!
I'm not sure but I read they aren't like other turtles and only like shallow pools.
The caresheet may help. I would go with the same level as advised for the the water dish to be on the safe side.
They can drown so keep an eye on him while soaking.

bookish19

South Carolina
I'm not sure but I read they aren't like other turtles and only like shallow pools.
The caresheet may help. I would go with the same level as advised for the the water dish to be on the safe side.
They can drown so keep an eye on him while soaking.
Thank you for the clarification!

Also, thanks so much to all of you for your kind & prompt replies.
Little one seems to be doing well-humid & warm (not hot) in the bin. Will do a warm water soak in the am, and reassess early afternoon.