Hello from Slash !

Leopard Jill

Location (City and/or State)
Buxton, Derbyshire
I have a 10 month old Leopard Tortoise called Slash, i've had Slash since August and he/she seems to be doing well. Just wanted some advice on feeding - trying to give a varied diet ( spring greens, watercress, courgette, cucumber, dandelion leaves, romaine hearts, plus a dried tortoise food which i saturate in water first) im also growing some grasses and plantain but they not ready yet) is this all enough choice and what else do people feed? Also although i put fresh hay in Slash just sleeps in it rather than eating it ! Is this ok? Any advice gratefully received. Oh i sprinkle a calcium additive on the food a few times a week too.

16002928_10154420069358915_1303389826892063313_n.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jill!

From the looks of your baby's shell, I can tell that you are keeping him in a too dry habitat. Leopard tortoises hatch out during the monsoon season in Africa. This means they hatch out into a green, moist world. They require this moisture to help the shells grow smoothly. Please read our care sheet that's pinned at the top of the leopard section.

Amore

South Africa
I live in South Africa... we never have monsoon season. Always wondering why referred to it. We have some areas more moist (south coast) and winter rain seasons on Western coast. But never monsoons? Maybe someone can just clarify?