Hello from SoCal

Hi there, I'm Kristan! I have four Russian torts 1 male, Pete, and 3 females, Lucy, Betty, and Wilson (she was our first, we thought she was a boy haha) My biggest female, Lucy, just layed 2 eggs a few months ago, so we're currently waiting for our new hatch-lings to arrive! I am very excited to be a part of this group, its always nice to chat with fellow tortoise lovers :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello Kristan, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Pete, Lucy, Betty and Wilson.
Good luck with the eggs!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). We don't seem to have a whole lot of members that hatch out baby russians, so please post pics. It is only a few we get to see. Usually only older ones.

Hello and Welcome:). We don't seem to have a whole lot of members that hatch out baby russians, so please post pics. It is only a few we get to see. Usually only older ones.
Thank you This is my first time with hatch-lings, I've heard its very difficult to get baby Russians in captivity, so I am very very lucky! I will definitely post pics when they arrive!

Thank you This is my first time with hatch-lings, I've heard its very difficult to get baby Russians in captivity, so I am very very lucky! I will definitely post pics when they arrive!
We actually found Lucy, the one with eggs, so I'm not sure how old she...or even how to tell! I'm Just very excited haha

We'd love to see enclosure photos! Getting eggs from your group is exciting. :)
My husband built at 6x3 indoor enclosure for them.The back is their hide box, then we've got a few feet of grass with their UVB and then their "hot spot" with some burrow logs. The side opens so that we can let them run loose in our room! She laid the eggs in a separate enclosure that was solely eco earth.

I think I posted the same picture twice

Attachments

• 14379656720502138249457.jpg
    14379656720502138249457.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 14379657652052138249457.jpg
    14379657652052138249457.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. How exciting that you have eggs. I hatched 28 Russian eggs this year. It is always exciting and never gets old to watch the eggs hatch and to take care of the hatchlings and watch them grow until they are ready to go to their new homes.

Welcome to the Forum. How exciting that you have eggs. I hatched 28 Russian eggs this year. It is always exciting and never gets old to watch the eggs hatch and to take care of the hatchlings and watch them grow until they are ready to go to their new homes.
Hi Carol! Omg 28 hatchlings, that is so awesome! I'm very excited for these little guys to hatch, it might be too hard for me to part with them, though.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! ! ! !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Russian eggs usually hatch in about 60-70 days. Has it been longer than that? Sometimes the first few eggs laid are not fertile. Nothing to worry about if this is the case this time.

Those ramped water bowls are infamous for drowning russian tortoises. I recommend you remove it right away and replace it with a terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate.

Hello and welcome.

Russian eggs usually hatch in about 60-70 days. Has it been longer than that? Sometimes the first few eggs laid are not fertile. Nothing to worry about if this is the case this time.

Those ramped water bowls are infamous for drowning russian tortoises. I recommend you remove it right away and replace it with a terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate.
'
Thank you for all the info. Weve had that ramp for the longest time, they don't even go in it, but ill check out the terra cotta saucer, maybe they'll go in more often, thanks for the heads up! She laid the eggs on May 1st, I'm not sure if this is her first clutch, we found her. A pet store we frequent is actually incubating them for us. She said they looked good. How would you know if they are not fertile eggs, would they just not hatch?