Hello from Southern California

Amanda_D

Hello! Thank you for welcoming me to your group. I recently adopted a Russian tortoise when a neighbor moved away without him. Chekhov is older but in good health. He is a very picky eater, but he does eat some so I'm not worried.
I live in Orange County, CA so we are having a dry, not too hot summer. My husband & I are building him a permanent enclosure. I have lots of questions about that.
We had a heatwave a week ago & Chekhov disappeared. We dig in his whole enclosure & there was no sign. Yesterday, he just reappeared under the water bowl. I swear we checked there before. We are so happy because we all realized that we really liked having a tortoise.
I would love to hear about what everybody did with their outdoor enclosure, what plants & ground cover they used. I am looking forward to learning about tortoises.
The photos are Chekhov wandering around the house & bathtime.

IMG_7780.JPG IMG_7611.JPG

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Welcome. I'm sure you can find the information you seek in the species specific area.

I know those rambunctious Russians can dig as well as climb. Lots of good ideas in the enclosure section also.

Good fortune to you !