Hello from Steve the Russian tortoise

LoriR

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, Oregon
Hi everyone, I have been lurking on this forum for months, and am finally going to introduce myself. I'm Lori, and I have a 5-month-old Russian named Steve. Her hatch date was July 10 2021, from Tortstork-I got her when she was about 2 months old. She's most likely female as she was incubated at the "female" temp, but I really liked the name Steve anyway-She just looks like a Steve to me. I would love some feedback on her shell (I don't mean to be pyramidaphobic, but she looks kind of pyramid-y to me) as well has her setup, diet, etc. Here's some info:

Enclosure: 36" x 24" rubbermaid-style tub - Temporary while she's young - I know she will outgrow this. She's kept indoors
The tub is covered by a clear shower curtain to maintain humidity.
Substrate: Cypress Mulch, dampened by pouring water in every couple days
Heat lamp: 65w incandescent flood
Basking temp: 95-97
Ambient temps between 70-90 depending on where in the tub. I have a temp gun.
Ambient humidity: 60-75% - I have an electronic thermometer/hygrometer that has an iphone app where I set alerts for low humidity.
Humid hide humidity: 90-100%
Night temp: I have a tiny 40-watt CHE that turns on if it goes under 70 degrees, turns off at 72 degrees. My house is over 100 years old and can be drafty.
UVB: Arcadia T8 12%
Diet: I live in the pacific NW USA so I guess we're lucky(?) to have lots of weeds: Dandelion, oxtoungue, cat's ear, stonecrop (her absolute favorite), alyssum, artichoke leaves, mallow weed (her 2nd favorite), wall lettuce, dovesfoot cranesbill, white clover, plantain weed. That's about it until spring, at which point there will be an insane weed frenzy. Need weeds? Come on over to Portland in Spring.
1 soaked mazuri (original formula) pellet 2x per week - She goes insane for this stuff. It's her dream food. It's almost scary how crazy she gets over it.
Carolina TNT sprinkled on food every couple of days
Rep-Cal sprinkled 2x/week
Soaking: 30 minutes every morning. I spritz her carapace lightly with water a few times per day.

Steve either sleeps in her humid hide or burrows deep into the damp substrate. I have several inches of substrate in there, so she can completely cover herself-It's funny seeing just her head poke out when she wakes up. Especially when she yawns. She eats a lot. Well, it seems like a lot. Let's just say she doesn't go hungry.

Ok so here are some questions:
-Per the photos, I feel she's pyramiding a little. Thoughts? Ideas? I feel like her humidity is as it should be, but she's bumpy.
-She puts herself to bed around 3-4pm daily, and wakes up around 8am. She's active while awake, with little naps here and there. This ok? I have her basking lamp on 14 hours per day, on a timer.
-I have a solar meter 6.5 and am concerned about UVB. T8 style tube...I mistakenly got this type instead of a T5 HO. It's 12 inches above her, and the readout is only 1.0-1.2. Arcadia 12% and Reptisun 10 tubes have been tried with the exact same super low readouts. I have compensated by keeping the UVB on a little longer, 5 horus per day. Too much? Not enough? Should I just give up on the T8 and go with a T5?
-Calcium: I have seen her munching on her cuttlebone maybe once or twice ever. Is a sprinkle of Rep-Cal 2x week enough?

Any and all advice is welcome. I am so glad I found this forum when I did, before I actually got Steve. I know I can do better, though. Cheers, nice to finally say hello :)

steve1-resized.jpgsteve2-resized.jpgsteve3-resized.jpgsteveenclosure1-resized.jpgsteveenclosure2-resized.jpg

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hi everyone, I have been lurking on this forum for months, and am finally going to introduce myself. I'm Lori, and I have a 5-month-old Russian named Steve. Her hatch date was July 10 2021, from Tortstork-I got her when she was about 2 months old. She's most likely female as she was incubated at the "female" temp, but I really liked the name Steve anyway-She just looks like a Steve to me. I would love some feedback on her shell (I don't mean to be pyramidaphobic, but she looks kind of pyramid-y to me) as well has her setup, diet, etc. Here's some info:

Enclosure: 36" x 24" rubbermaid-style tub - Temporary while she's young - I know she will outgrow this. She's kept indoors
Ambient humidity: 60-75% - I have an electronic thermometer/hygrometer that has an iphone app where I set alerts for low humidity.
Night temp: I have a tiny 40-watt CHE that turns on if it goes under 70 degrees, turns off at 72 degrees. My house is over 100 years old and can be drafty.
Diet: I live in the pacific NW USA so I guess we're lucky(?) to have lots of weeds: Dandelion, oxtoungue, cat's ear, stonecrop (her absolute favorite), alyssum, artichoke leaves, mallow weed (her 2nd favorite), wall lettuce, dovesfoot cranesbill, white clover, plantain weed. That's about it until spring, at which point there will be an insane weed frenzy. Need weeds? Come on over to Portland in Spring.
1 soaked mazuri (original formula) pellet 2x per week - She goes insane for this stuff. It's her dream food. It's almost scary how crazy she gets over it.
Soaking: 30 minutes every morning. I spritz her carapace lightly with water a few times per day.

Steve either sleeps in her humid hide or burrows deep into the damp substrate. I have several inches of substrate in there, so she can completely cover herself-It's funny seeing just her head poke out when she wakes up. Especially when she yawns. She eats a lot. Well, it seems like a lot. Let's just say she doesn't go hungry.

-Per the photos, I feel she's pyramiding a little. Thoughts? Ideas? I feel like her humidity is as it should be, but she's bumpy.
-She puts herself to bed around 3-4pm daily, and wakes up around 8am. She's active while awake, with little naps here and there. This ok? I have her basking lamp on 14 hours per day, on a timer.
-I have a solar meter 6.5 and am concerned about UVB. T8 style tube...I mistakenly got this type instead of a T5 HO. It's 12 inches above her, and the readout is only 1.0-1.2. Arcadia 12% and Reptisun 10 tubes have been tried with the exact same super low readouts. I have compensated by keeping the UVB on a little longer, 5 horus per day. Too much? Not enough? Should I just give up on the T8 and go with a T5?
-Calcium: I have seen her munching on her cuttlebone maybe once or twice ever. Is a sprinkle of Rep-Cal 2x week enough?

Any and all advice is welcome. I am so glad I found this forum when I did, before I actually got Steve. I know I can do better, though. Cheers, nice to finally say hello :)

View attachment 337805View attachment 337806View attachment 337807View attachment 337808View attachment 337809
Welcome. Your taking great care of her from what I can see. If everything is order I don't see why she'd be pyramiding, which it isn't severe at all. My only guess is that maybe she's growing a little fast. I can see the growth lines on her scoots. I'm sure someone else will be of more help than me, but you're doing phenomenal.

LoriR

Portland, Oregon
Welcome. Your taking great care of her from what I can see. If everything is order I don't see why she'd be pyramiding, which it isn't severe at all. My only guess is that maybe she's growing a little fast. I can see the growth lines on her scoots. I'm sure someone else will be of more help than me, but you're doing phenomenal.
Thanks! I owe everyone on this forum so many thanks for helping me get started. This is my first tortoise and I'm really not sure what the ideal growth rate would be. Do you think she's growing too fast? I have been keeping track of her weight, so I'll post that here when I can get to it. I have scoured the forum for pyramiding info and all the posts seem to point toward lack of humidity, so I'm super curious what else could be a factor.

LoriR

Portland, Oregon
Welcome.
Yes. The T8 is only effective at very close range. And even then they lose effectiveness shortly after.
You really do need a T5 HO
Gotcha, thank you for confirming that-I was wondering if I was just getting dud bulbs but after trying both the Reptisun and Arcadia and getting the exact same low readings, I figured it was the T8 to blame. I have just ordered a T5 HO hood and tube, and they will arrive within the week!

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Thanks! I owe everyone on this forum so many thanks for helping me get started. This is my first tortoise and I'm really not sure what the ideal growth rate would be. Do you think she's growing too fast? I have been keeping track of her weight, so I'll post that here when I can get to it. I have scoured the forum for pyramiding info and all the posts seem to point toward lack of humidity, so I'm super curious what else could be a factor.
Happy to help. Pyramiding does seem to point back to humidity in most cases.Well, reptiles have a slower metabolism than mammals because they require heating to aid in digestion. So, it is possible to overfeed them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Gotcha, thank you for confirming that-I was wondering if I was just getting dud bulbs but after trying both the Reptisun and Arcadia and getting the exact same low readings, I figured it was the T8 to blame. I have just ordered a T5 HO hood and tube, and they will arrive within the week!
Thank you for being so receptive to advice.
A week without UV is nothing at all to worry about.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This is the caresheet you need and if you follow that your tort should do well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your shower curtain may not be closed down snuggly. Try cutting it to fit and tape the sides and back (three sides) to the tub, leaving only the front loose for maintenance.

LoriR

Portland, Oregon
Your shower curtain may not be closed down snuggly. Try cutting it to fit and tape the sides and back (three sides) to the tub, leaving only the front loose for maintenance.
Great idea-Thank you. I'll do that. So is it your opinoin the pyramiding is strictly a humidity issue? If so, I think I might want to get another hygrometer. I have a thermometer/hygrometer combo that is rated for indoor and outdoor use. It's app-based and I can move it around the enclosure and has alerts set for when temps or humity get out of range. I also have one of those cheapo stick-on analog ones just for eyeballing it. Both have the same readings give or take so I'm wondering if both are just garbage. I think I'll shop for another hygrometer just to be safe. Sorry I'm rambling. I'm sort of obsessed with fixing this!

LoriR

Portland, Oregon
Hi and welcome,
This is the caresheet you need and if you follow that your tort should do well.
Thank you so much! I fortunately found this forum and guide before Steve was shipped to me and I'm so thankful I did. I would have messed up so much more had I not found it. I wish I had introduced myself and asked more questions earlier, though. I am shy online and in person until I make myself start talking. Takes a bit for me to start, but after that, I don't really shut up (sorry in advance) :)

electricdaisy

Garden Grove California

View attachment 337805View attachment 337806View attachment 337807View attachment 337808View attachment 337809
Steve is fantastic! I’ve been thinking about getting a hatchling and have also been reading all the articles. So much information. Great, just so much. I’m going to bookmark this thread so I can refer to your setup if I get brave enough to get a baby. I was also looking at TortStork. Obviously you had a great experience with them because Steve is amazing. ❤️

LoriR

Portland, Oregon
Steve is fantastic! I’ve been thinking about getting a hatchling and have also been reading all the articles. So much information. Great, just so much. I’m going to bookmark this thread so I can refer to your setup if I get brave enough to get a baby. I was also looking at TortStork. Obviously you had a great experience with them because Steve is amazing. ❤️
Steve is pretty great! One thing I hadn't expected is how social they become once they get to know you. Steve knows she can get my attention climbing and scratching the area of the tub where I usually reach in. She sometimes just wants to hang out on my palm, relaxing with her back feet all the way out. Sometimes she's begging for a treat. It's cute.

I do recommend Tortstork-Randy really cares about his tortoises. And yeah, read as much as you possibly can on this forum and get your setup dialed in before you order a tortoise. There's definitely a lot to learn but you'll be fine if you read the pinned care guides and things. Best of luck-Do share if you end up getting a tortoise!

electricdaisy

Garden Grove California
Steve is pretty great! One thing I hadn't expected is how social they become once they get to know you. Steve knows she can get my attention climbing and scratching the area of the tub where I usually reach in. She sometimes just wants to hang out on my palm, relaxing with her back feet all the way out. Sometimes she's begging for a treat. It's cute.

I do recommend Tortstork-Randy really cares about his tortoises. And yeah, read as much as you possibly can on this forum and get your setup dialed in before you order a tortoise. There's definitely a lot to learn but you'll be fine if you read the pinned care guides and things. Best of luck-Do share if you end up getting a tortoise!
I actually have 3 torts but all 3 were adults when I got them. I think I have 2 male Russians and 1 female desert tortoise. I’d love to get a baby female Russian.

LoriR

Portland, Oregon
I actually have 3 torts but all 3 were adults when I got them. I think I have 2 male Russians and 1 female desert tortoise. I’d love to get a baby female Russian.
Oh cool!!! Yeah the one thing, though: It's about an 80% chance you'll get a female if they incubate at the "female" temp...So you could possibly end up with another male. But if you are cool with that, then yeah it's quite an experience raising a tiny little tortoise. I've loved it so far. :)