Hello from Sumatera

Hendrik Sartoni

Location (City and/or State)
Sumatera Island, Indonesia
Hello all,

My name is Hendrik and I have an indian star and a radiated tortoise living in the tropical paradise. (ps: don't worry, they live in a separated living area)
I am new to the tortoise world and has been a silent reader of this forum for a while.
This forum has helped me a lot by providing care and problem solvings suggestions.
I also found that Tom's caresheets and guides are greatly useful for a beginner like me.
He is friendly and helpful when I messaged him for an urgent help on my "not-eating" star tortoise which are thankfully doing very well now after i did some major improvements to the husbandry and living space expansion.
Overalll, i am really grateful for this forum where i can learn so many stuffs from and i hope that someday i can also contribute to the TFO community. Cheers!

Fredkas

5 Year Member
And no pics? I can't say welcome without seeing any o_O :D :D
Come on

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Beautiful tortoise, Hendrik! Do you mind sharing how you keep them, and pictures of their enclosures? Have you raised them since hatchling? They both look to be only 1-2 years old? Your climate is so good for them. Do you keep them outdoors much?

Hendrik Sartoni

Thank you, Amber26! :)

Thank you, Markw84!
I have the star for about 2 months and the radiated for about three weeks, a very new owner of tortoise. ;)

Both tortoises are being kept outdoor during the days in separated area. The radiated takes the front yard and the star takes the back garden. Both tortoises have some semi-outdoor area and plants to hide during the hottest time of the day. I move them to their indoor box after the sunset and let them out again every morning after their daily soak. Most of the time i will soak them before i move them indoor, especially when it is really hot outside (which is quite often).

IMG_2514.JPG IMG_2515.JPG

My radiated loves to drink while soaking itself during the day as well, so i created a small water puddle by blocking a drain hole on one small section of my patio and filled it with water that is being drained and cleaned everyday after the tortoise has been moved indoor.

IMG_2516.JPG

As for the night box, currently i have two separate box sized 120 x 120 cm, equiped with a basking spotlight (measured at 34* C at the basking area) and a ceramic heater near their hide. The lowest temp that we get here during the night with heavy rain is about 23*C (indoor's temp).

IMG_2518.JPG

I have tried to put a cover on both enclosure, but the humidity often exceed 85% whenever i put it on.
Therefore, i prefer to take it off. On average, the humidity level is around 70-76% without cover.
I think humidity and temp are some of the main advantages of living a few miles above the earth's equator line. :D For example, the temp is 30*C with 75% relative humidity at the coolside on 9:44 am this morning.

IMG_2536.JPG

As for their diet, most of the things they ate are home-grown, except for some vegetables and mazuri diets that are store bought. Vegetables don't grow well at my garden. I planted opuntias, several types of hibiscus, dandelion, chicory, cucumber, zinnia and some other flowers for their main diet. I also give them calcium powder two times a week.

IMG_2523.JPG IMG_2524.JPG IMG_2527.JPG IMG_2528.JPG IMG_2525.JPG IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2530.JPG

Hendrik Sartoni

Hi BevSmith, thank you!

Here are the examples of the meals that i prepared to my tortoises.
IMG_2537.JPGIMG_2540.JPGIMG_2541.JPGIMG_2520.JPG

I have to cut those grasses really finely to trick them to eat, same goes to the mazuri chows. They will eat uncut leaves, but never grass nor a whole mazuri pellet.

IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2539.JPG