Hello from sunny SoCal

SullyPassion

My passion is tortoises. I currently own a 13 y/o 100+ lb Sulcata male. His personality is amazing! Comes when called, chases my dogs and get to roam in a huge yard! He is however starting to actively try and mate everything, so im currentley looking for a bigger female to support him :) buy or adopt!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I think you're making a mistake getting a female. If you just let him practice on the rocks and whatever he finds appealing in his pen, he will soon get it out of his system and go back to being the lovable nuisance he once was. If you give him a real tortoise to breed, he will never get over it. He will chase her around the pen from the time he gets up in the a.m. until he goes to bed at night. She will eventually get so tired of fighting him off that she will stay hidden from him and stop eating.

My advice for those with a "pet" tortoise is to keep your pet by himself and let him be a pet. A breeder isn't a good "pet."

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

A male like that will literally harass a single female to death. He does not need or want a mate. This behavior will slow down as time goes by. It is normal. If you were going to give him a "mate" you would need to give him at least 3 or 4 and then you would literally have a baby factory on your hands. Each female can easily produce 100 babies a year. Do you really want to spend hours a day housing and caring for 100s of babies for most of the year? What will you do with them all? Do you have the contacts to sell them?

Your male will be just fine all alone. They are happiest as the sole kings of their castles.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
Male/female combo are usually a bad choice.