Hello from SW... VA

SW...VA

Location (City and/or State)
VA
Hi,
I grew up with a variety of family pets ( hamsters to horses ).
I would love to have a tortoise as a member of the family. At present we are a woman, a girl, and a 1 year old cat. We live in a small apartment in a small city.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well then, I think you definitely need to get a tortoise!!!! It's a bit more expensive to set up a tortoise as an in house only animal, but it can be done.

Welcome to the Forum!

SW...VA

VA
Well then, I think you definitely need to get a tortoise!!!! It's a bit more expensive to set up a tortoise as an in house only animal, but it can be done.

Welcome to the Forum!

SW...VA

VA
Thank you for your prompt response. I am carefully planning this. I will be reading through your info on appropriate containment.
Right now ...considering a very small ( when mature ) tortoise in a tub-sized ( 2x5x1 1/2 ‘ ) bin. This is the sticky point with me:, limited space to dedicate exclusively to one purpose .
I would probably keep it in the bathroom while I’m at work, so I don’t have to worry about the cat and tortoise interacting without supervision. When we are home I have a 4x12 ‘ hall with only a small metal cafe table set in it ( easily moved ) that I can provide for a more stimulating and spacious environment.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Start researching and good luck. Most species need a 4x8 enclosure as an adult, even the small tortoises. Also, letting them roam in the house is not recommended. It’s too cold on the floor in most homes and they can eat some dangerous things.
I know my life is happier with my tortoises in it.

SW...VA

VA
Okay, I have begun to read just the replies to the new owners and the threads ( somehow that sounds so wrong...and yes,I am a Luddite) provided. Wow, there is so much to learn.
I was fascinated by the idea of a multi-level indoor enclosure. This may be the solution to my limited apt. space issue.
Would the bottom be the hide and would the upper level be the basking area , as heat rises ?
How steep should the ramps be ? How would I keep the substrate from sliding down the ramps ? Have any of you successfully done this ?
Also, I rent, so I cannot turn the property into tortoise heaven. Are there any tortoise harnesses ? lol

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I can’t help you with a build, other than to say you need to go bigger than your original plan!

Your cat and your tortoise won’t bother each other or if they do, your tortoise is going to win that argument and the cat won’t bother it again! :)

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Are you planning on getting a bigger place at some point? If not be prepared to give a lot of space!! Do you have a big appartment? Im guessing it’s pretty small if the only place you could put the enclosure is in the bathroom...or maybe you have an enormous bathroom lol.

Christyk

Village Mills Texas
I have a small box turtle the is overwintering inside and 1 of my cats will sleep with the turtle in her enclosure. They share the heat and have no issues.

SW...VA

VA
Are you planning on getting a bigger place at some point? If not be prepared to give a lot of space!! Do you have a big appartment? Im guessing it’s pretty small if the only place you could put the enclosure is in the bathroom...or maybe you have an enormous bathroom lol.

Becuase my daughter is an excellent student, I moved to a neighborhood with the best school, and of course it costs more to live here...
We have less square footage, but she has more of a future. She is a great kid and deserves every advantage I can make happen for her. I love tortoises , but if it can't work out now I will get one later. I still enjoy immensely being here and learning and laughing about all your amazing torts.